Questions on Kimber

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD

Inactive
I just picked up a Kimber Ultra Carry Stainless in 45. I put 100 rounds of American Eagle 230 grain full metal jacket.

Two times in the middle of a magazine (2 different magazines), the round did not chamber. The fired round did eject ok, and the slide stayed back. I pulled the slide back and let it go forward and the round would chamber and all ok. From the reviews I've read, people are not having any problems. Any ideas or suggestions?

Second question - it comes with 1 6 round magazine, even though the info on their web says 7 round capacity (not just 6+1). Got a couple of Chip McCormick 7 round mags - seems ok assuming it's not related to problem above. Should these maga be ok for the ultra carry?

Thanks.

I have a Kimber Stainless compact, it came with one 7 rnd. McCormick mag, I picked up a couple of Wilson 7rnd Officer's model mags. so far, so good. I have approx 400+ rnds thru so far, with one failure to feed like you described (with a Wilson - tap, rack, bang, no problem) and one failure or the slide to lock back (with the McCormick) after the last round. This occurred somewhere in the mid 200's with S&B 230 gr. hardball, it has had no problem with HydraShoks or Silvertip HPs (go figure). Given that I'm still breaking it in, I'm not real concerned, it has otherwise performed beautifully. Kimbers are very well made with tight clearances, so yours may just be having teething problems, it should loosen up a bit after another couple hundred rounds. If you're still having problems at that point, I'd send it in.

I cleaned and lubed mine with Mil-Tec1, a synthetic metal treatment, when I first got it, and have since switched to Sentry Solutions dry lube on the rails, very smooth now. Overall, I'm real hapy with it, hope yours treats you well. M2

Please see the string in the "Smithy" forum titled "1911 Reliability, What do I have to do?". It deals with the Kimber Ultra Carry, the problems I experienced and what I did to remedy them.

Thanks very much guys.

I put another 100 rounds through it today, and only 1 time where it did not chamber - so breaking it in might help.

Mike, I live in Calif, but travel to your area often. Tomorrow to Reston.

Pilate, thanks so much for the reference to the thread. A lot of info. and I will save it so I'll be prepared if it does not clear up in another 100-200 rounds. Amazing the power of the internet and good bulletin board software to be able to capture all this discussion.

Thanks again.

Small world, I work in Reston. Don't know where you stay, but there's a pretty decent range (Blue Ridge Arsenal) about 20 min away that rents handguns if you find yourself at a loss for entertainment some evening. Safe journey, M2

Thanks for the info, Mike. I stay at the Hyatt in Reston Town Center. This time just there for a couple of days, but the range sounds like a great idea when I am there longer. Might even bring my own equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back