Questions on JHP's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamantium

Hi, I've been wondering what are the differences between normal JHPs and Semi-JHPs/Bonded-JHPs. All I really know right now is that SJHPs don't have a jacketed tip and BJHPs jackets are soldered on.

Also, just one more question. I just got a few boxes of Remington SJHPs in both 125 and 158 grns(the kind that comes in the green and yellow boxes marked High Velocity). How are these for self-defense? I really haven't read much about anything but the exspencive/fancy named JHPs here.

Thanks

Sincerely,
Adam

------------------
Self improvement is a hobby of mine :)

Greetings, sir. The bonded hps, primarily Speer Gold Dots, are, as you note, chemically bonded to the jacket such that there's very little bullet-jacket separation and the bullet can maintain more mass and penetrate deeper than if the bullet separates after losing the jacket. Exposed lead jhps or sjhps from Remington are for revolver use as the soft lead would hang up possibly in an autoloader. I know of no Remington jhp for semis that has exposed lead. That said, the sjhp expands well and in .357 mag, the Remington 125 gr SJHP is considered by many to be one of the top defensive choices. In .38 Spec, if that's the caliber you're speaking of, the SJHP in 125gr or 110 (if available) should work well. Best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back