Questions on .22 subsonic ammo

Futo Inu

I bought some .22 long "CB" ammo, which propels a 29 grainer, I think, at about 725 fps, but this is still a wee bit too noisy for my purposes (for one, I want to shoot without hearing protection and with zero chance of hearing damage). So, I'm wondering:

1. The Aquila "Colibre" ammo says it has no powder and is super quiet. Does anyone know the velocity and bullet weight in this cartridge?

2. Is there anything in between these two? Something with a little powder, but not quite as much as the CBs?

Thank you all.

22 LR Colibri - 20 gr. Solid Point Lead Bullet.
- NO GUNPOWDER, Sounds as quiet as a air rifle!!!
- 375 FPS muzzle velocity.
- This is a cartridge that contains no gunpowder. The little 20 gr. bullet is propelled soley by the Eley priming
mix. For this reason the .22 Colibri produces almost no sound. Due to the lack of noise, the .22 Colibri round
may be fired indoors, even in the living room, provided a proper back stop is available. The .22 Colibri round
can be fired in any .22 LR rifle or pistol. However it will not cycle the slides of semi-auto guns.
- WARNING:This round is leathal!! All safety priniciples must be used!!
- Packed in 50 rnd boxes, 500 rnds. per brick.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

22 LR "Super" Colibri - 20 gr. Solid Point Lead Bullet.
- NO GUNPOWDER, Sounds as quiet as a air rifle!!!
- 575 FPS muzzle velocity.
- This is a cartridge that contains no gunpowder. The little 20 gr. bullet is propelled soley by the Eley priming
mix. For this reason the .22 Colibri produces almost no sound. Due to the lack of noise, the .22 Colibri round
may be fired indoors, even in the living room, provided a proper back stop is available. The .22 Colibri round
can be fired in any .22 LR rifle or pistol. However it will not cycle the slides of semi-auto guns.
- WARNING:This round is leathal!! All safety priniciples must be used!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

22 LR SSS - Sniper SubSonic - 60 gr. Solid Point Lead Bullet.
- Velocity of 950 FPS, Energy is 120 ft-lb and the pressuers are all within SAAMI spec's.
- This load is the heaviest .22 rimfire available and can be fired in any .22 that is in good condition.
- Tests show that it penetrates approximately 24 inches of ballistic gelatin at 200 meters.
- Excellent round for .22 conversion units.

>>>>>>>>>>>

22 LR SubSonic - 40 gr. Solid Point Lead Bullet.
http://www.cole-distributing.com/
http://www.aguilaammo.com/rimfire.htm

.22LR Sub-Sonic (any) + AWC Suppressor = Hammer Strike. :D

.22LR Regular/High Vel + AWC Suppressor = Sonic Crack. :)

.223 + AWC Suppressor = .22LR

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Try CB shorts. I fired a few recently and they are pretty quiet compared even to CB longs. Longer barrel ought to cut down on noise, too.

I have some of the Colibri and it is pretty neat , at 20 yards it will go completely through a 1 gallon plastic milk jug filled with water . Out of a 16" contender barrel it sounds about 1/3 as loud as a Daisy Red Ryder [sounds about like dry firing a handgun]. I also have some of the SSS but it does not impress me that much . The Colibri is a LOT quieter than CB shorts . Good luck , Mike...

Back