Questions for the Alaskan and Toklat 454 Casull

CDR_Glock

8a5ef8cd2ffc619c5993def82f2f62d7.jpg

What advantage does Magnaporting do with this?

Does a steady diet of Buffalo Bore 340 grain Cast lead bullets lead to decreased barrel life? I'm guessing that these guns would outlive me.

I prefer the open adjustable sights but have any of you added a Weigand rail and an Optic?

I live in Black Bear country and they seem to be well fed but I take no chances when I'm on my property. What do you prefer for defense between the two? I have all three Ruger Super Redhawk revolvers.

I favor the Toklat, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1024 x 1024 pixels is too big.
Cast lead bullets will never wear out an SS barrel. Lead is far softer than any kind of steel.
The Toklat is a dealer exclusive. Only made for and sold by TALO. Won't make any difference except for a bit of velocity loss.

It's a distributor exclusive, not a dealer exclusive and TALO is a group of distributors, which includes Lipsey's, Davidson's and several others. So it's widely available.

I have no experience with those revolvers, but in another thread, a gentleman said to avoid Lil Gun powder in the .500 S&W, so you might want to research if that powder would be any problem in your gun/caliber. I've always stuck with W296 in my .454.

And good hardcast lead bullets should never wear out your gun. You could have an issue though if you use bullets too soft to take the pressure. They try to obturate to fill the bore at the same time they're trying to squeeze through the forcing cone. I've read that Dick Casull used to demonstrate this phenomenon by seating softer bullets over a hot charge of powder, and the forcing cone would be completely ruined in less than 100 rounds. I called the factory to see if I should order my gun with their optional tungsten carbide forcing cone, but they told me if I'm using proper bullets, I shouldn't bother unless I was going to shoot 10,000 rounds per year.

Back