Questions for FFL Holders

LAK Supply

I have a few questions for FFL holders here. Although I'm not entirely interested in selling guns on a regular basis, a lot of manufacturers and other vendors will not accept incorporation papers, resale licenses, etc for new accounts.... many want an FFL. I would probably sell enough firearms to pay for the license and the additional storage, but not a whole lot more. I don't care to keep up with all the entires and associated scrutiny involved with moving a lot of firearms.

I would want to set this up out of my house with a separate area in the garage or shop for storage of any inventory that may be on hand. I do not want the ATF inside my house for inspections... will keeping the safe in the garage or shop work for that?

Can I keep all of my firearms purchases separate from those intended for resale?

Would I lose the ability to buy and sell personal weapons in private transactions, or would everything I sell be required to be logged, personal or not? If this is the case, would having the FFL in my wife's name help?

How much of a pain is it really? I'm assuming that anything dealing with the fedgov is not going to be the most pleasant experience I've ever had. Wyoming does not regulate dealers and I'm already licensed for a business from my home.

Are there any other legal considerations with an FFL? I want to keep it separate from my personal life... is this possible while operating on my residential property?

LAK Supply,

First, I would suggest making contact with the ATF field office for your area. They can be a great source of information.

Some places (cities, towns, villages, etc.) have restrictions on selling firearms as a business out of the home. The ATF will know if your area has any such restrictions.

Secondly, they can answer a lot of your questions for you.
The ATF website has a FAQ that will help too. All the regs about record keeping are there for your perusal.

I have heard of some folks setting up a LLC (I think that is what it's called) and the LLC actually holds the license. This, I think insulates your personal property.

And yes, you will have to keep Acquisition and Disposal records no matter how many firearms you sell.

Hope this helps.
Owens

Back