Questions concerning NRA

Gunz-n-Rosie

I went to the NRA web site to find more information about the "Eddie Eagle" program and hit the proverbial jack pot. I also tried to find out just some generic information about the NRA. I could not find anything about what the organization is, what they do, and what type of people are members. I saw some very specific things (bills in the works, etc.), but not what I was looking for. Do any of you know where to look for that?

Greetings GNR,

Welcome to the forum. I'm at a bit of a loss, what type of "generic" NRA information are you looking for?

Good afternoon, Gunz-and-Rosie,

The NRA was founded in 1876 by a group of National Guard officers primarily to promote marksmanship within the National Guard, reserves and the general populace ("the militia" as it had always been understood). After becoming a truly national organization it became the general governing body of target shooting with rifle, pistol and (to a lesser extent) shotgun.

While always alert to threats to firearms ownership, the NRA was not seriously involved in lobbying until it became obvious in the 1960's that guns were being blamed for almost every social problem from assassinations to (seriously) inflation. At that time, the NRA had about 350,000 members. As the demand for gun control grew more strident, the NRA became more and more a lobbying organization until many people believe that is their main function. Membership today is about 2.8 million.

While NRA lobbying and political action are important (and I hope successful), the organization still sets match rules, establishes target standards, certifies instructors, and so forth.

They also operate a firearms museum that is becoming more significant since the Smithsonian and the National Park Service have bowed to administration pressure and almost eliminated their firearms displays.
(Harpers Ferry has only 7 guns on display, one a foreign-made reproduction; the arsenal there made over a half-million muskets before 1861.

There are differences within the organization over tactics, allotment of resources, etc., as there are in almost all organizations, and membership fluctuates. This appears not to be so much because of member discontent, but because of anti-gun activity, which always increases NRA membership and contributions.

Two additional groups are technically not part of the NRA, which retains its status as an educational orgainzation. Those are the NRA-Institute for Legislative Action, which is the lobbying arm; the NRA-PAC is the political contribution wing.

This is not at all unusual; the Washington Post once denounced NRA-ILA as a sneak group to bribe Congress. But, for example, the NAACP has almost the identical organizational setup.

Hope this helps.

Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited May 06, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited May 06, 1999).]

I don't know anything about the NRA except that it is an organization that tries to protect the 2nd Ammendment and promote gun safety. The only other thing I know is that they support Project Exile and wanted to implement that nationwide. Would this be a correct summary of what types of things the NRA does? As a non-gun owner, the only things I know about the organization is what is on the news. I guess I was looking for a "who we are" and "what we do" kind of category on the web site (or another web site for that matter). I just wanted to be more informed about the organization when I start presenting the "Eddie Eagle" gun safety information to others.

GnR--I can add very little to Jim's excellent summary. I would just like to say something about what type of people are NRA members: young, old, female, male, blue collar, white collar, rich, poor, Republican, Democrat, married, single, black, white, et al. Any honorable individual from a wide cross-section of American life is a "typical" member.

I expect it's hard for some folks to believe that the NRA is utterly unlike its common representation in the media. For instance, the other day I saw a characteristically vicious anti-NRA political cartoon in my local newspaper, depicting the NRA as "The Other Trenchcoat Mafia." Many a reader accepts such representations uncritically. Yet they are an outrage and a falsehood.

I believe that the more you learn about the NRA, the prouder you will be to count NRA members among your neighbors.

Gunz -n- Rosie, no not all NRA members are gun owners. I know several people, well educated and earning very good money (not that has anything to do with the question), that do not own firearms but are life members of the NRA. Their thoughts are that all of the Bill of Rights need protection and support, not all except the 2nd Amendment. They have placed their money behind those ideals.

Several of these people have never fired a firearm and have no interest in doing so. I know, I have asked them to go shooting with me. Since, I just enjoy the heck out of shooting, I can't understand their thinking - :D - but accept it and have welcomed them into the NRA.

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited May 06, 1999).]

My father is a long time NRA member, and I don't think he's even fired a gun in fifteen years, and he's never owned one. Why is he a member? Because he understands that gun ownership by the general population is the only thing to keep runaway government in check. He believes that our government has intruded into our lives far too deeply, and that allowing them to disarm everyone would be turning over our lives, livelihood, and freedom to politicians, bureaucrats, and lawyers.

It was odd to find that he was a member of the NRA, knowing he didn't own any guns. He taught me how to use a rifle (first an air rifle, then a bolt-action .22 rifle) when I was a kid, and that was it. I understand he was a sharpshooter during the Korean War period, and I recall from my childhood that he's a crack shot - between that and his political bent (Libertarian/Republican) I guess it shouldn't have been a surprise, but it was. Especially considering that we talk about all kinds of political issues on a regular basis.

He's a good man, as are all of the NRA members I've ever met, including a dozen or so at the Denver convention last weekend.

Short answer: No, not all NRA members own guns, but most do.

Rosie:

Can't speak for everyone, but I'm white male 48, hold my BS in Accounting am a corporate officer of a public company. Hold three professional certifications, my CPA, CCP & CMA. Am married to a very beautifull ladie. Live out in the country with my four horses, two dogs, two cats, 9 chickens, 1 guinne hen and who knows what else.

I'm the treasurer of our local gun club, which is a branch of the NRA. We have over 1,100 members. Our main function is to promote the shooting sports and contribute to the local community. Our main source of revenue is our annual pheasant hunt. The local farmers (most who are members) donate their land (approximately 50,000 acres). We buy around 4,500 rooster pheasants and plant them throughout the season. We charge $125 per season from our members to hunt. From these funds we donate around $25,000 a year to the local schools, churches, library and other functions. Up until this year we used to take all the kids from a local orphanage, put them through the NRA hunters safety course and take them out for a weekend of pheasant hunting. Capped out by a pheasant dinner (each kid got his own marked bird to eat) prepaired by us. This last season we got a new director of the orphanage who did not want us to turn her kids into killers. So ended a 48 year tradition.

In addition we have addopted 5 miles of highway to clean up on a monthly basis. We recruite and train over 20 kids each year for the Junior shooters program. They compete in 50 yrd. 22 indoor. One of our kids from several years ago, won the national championship with a near perfect score. He has been undefeated since, with a lifetime average of 297 out of a possible 300.

We are strong supporters of the Friends of the NRA and annually hold the most successful fund raising dinner in the nation. All funds raised at the Friends dinner go to the NRA endowment fund, which is used to fund the Eddy Eagle program, build shooting ranges, etc.

We recently (last week) signed a pledge to donate additional funds to the NRA endowment fund.

As to what types of members we have in our local club... all types, from all walks of life. Approximatly 5% of our members are women. (wished it was higher). I can honestly state that we have the butcher, the baker (no candlestick maker) barber, excutives, teachers, lawyers, farmers & lots others as members.

Although as a group (since we are a non-profit) do not get involved in politics. Most of our members are very active. As individuals we get out and man the phones for our local canidates and march door to door asking for votes. Most of us take a trip a few times a year down to the capital to visit our representatives. Almost all of us write our congress critters every time there is a bill that comes up.

What type of a person am I... well my wife thinks I'm a sweetee.. :) but she is a little prejudice. I've never been arrested. Had two traffic tickets in my life, both on the same day and both for the same thing... improper left hand turn. Was divorced from my first wife.... out of self defense.... it was either that or I was going to get violent... and I chose the non-violent way out... I left. I got so that I could not handle the verbal abuse any longer... getting woke up at 3:00 a.m. to be yelled at... well anyway I got remarried several years ago and it was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Hope this gives you an idea of who and what the NRA is about.... It's about people getting together and doing something they enjoy.... the shooting sports.... It just so happens that now we have to spend so much time in order to protect that right. Takes so much time away from our other attivities.

Richard

Evidently it wasn't such a stupid question to ask afterall. I am glad I asked.

Jim V: I thought there might be some members who were there to fight for all the rights in the Bill of Rights, but I wasn't sure how the whole thing worked.

Morgan: It sounds like your dad was really neat.

bookkie: thank you so much for sharing your story. I am sorry to hear about the pheasant shoot getting cancelled. That's a shame.

I really appreciate all the insight you are providing me with.

Back