Questions after installing B&C Medalist on Stevens 200 SA

ndking1126

I have a Stevens 200 in .223. I installed a Rifle Basic trigger almost a year ago. It still has the factory barrel.

Tonight, I finally got my Christmas present and started switching the stocks out. I had problems getting the centerfeed blind mag (new 4.4" design) to stay properly seated in the new stock. Either it would immediately pop right out or after reassembling the rifle and charging the handle 3 or 4 times it would shift just enough that I had to manually push mag down about 1/8" to get the bolt to close.

I started to wonder if I bent the metal clip that is supposed to keep it all in place. To check, I reinstalled it on the factory stock.. I had it place and holding first time without any issue.

So, back to trying on the Medalist. I was able to get what felt to be securely in place, so I reassembled the rifle and have been cycling the bolt, bumping the stock, etc and it has stayed in place.

Is that normal? Was it really just that I couldn't get it in at just the right angle? It seemed like a strait forward process, especially after being able to reinstall it on the factory stock.. this is my first time using an aftermarket stock so I don't have much experience to fall back on.

Hard telling not knowing.

I am fairly handy, but lining up the spring/follower assembly on my Rem. 700 (blind magazine, no floor plate) has been an angering process from time to time.

Maybe I'm not a complete klutz then. I generally pretty good with my hands too, so I think that's why it got so frustrating.

I'd call B&C. There is a chance you have the wrong stock. Savage rifles have changed 2-3 times in recent years and it is hard for aftermarket suppliers to keep up with what fits what.

Back