Questions about Winchester rifle

nedfig

It is a Winchester single shot bolt action. .22 short, long, and LR. IIRC, it said Model 60. I looked in the blue book and it shows a model 60 single shot .22 and the price in poor condition is $125. Does any of this sound correct. It has standard rifle sights.

I was wanting a single shot .22 to put a scope on for targets and hunting. Should I just take the $125 and buy a modern rifle?

Thanks,
Ned

The Model 60 was a cheap boy's rifle, never intended for real target work or for durability. If the rest of the gun is in poor condition, the barrel is probably a sewer pipe from corrosive ammo. Most I have seen are well worn and I don't know about parts availability. Worse, the small collector interest is focused only on near-new guns; well used specimens will rarely bring even as much as the figure you mention.

Further, putting a scope on that rifle will be difficult, as it will require a side mount, and actually reduce, not enhance, the value.

I would put the money into a partial payment on a more modern and better rifle that is made for a scope.

Jim

Back