Questions about Ruger P97 DA trigger & stainless finish.

long shot

Does anyone know what the trigger travel to discharge is in DA mode, & is the pull fairly smooth? Also, is the reset long in DA or SA, & what is the approx. pull weight for DA?

I'm used to Glocks trigger, & while I know the travel or reset won't be that short, I'm hoping it's not as long as say a Beretta trigger, where it seems the DA trigger has to travel almost all the way to the back of the trigger gaurd before discharge. Is the P97's DA trigger good enough to consider a DAO version, as I do like the idea of a consistent trigger pull.

Are Rugers stainless slides prone to rust? There was a thread over on Ruger-forum about a guy who's P97's slide was covered in rust after a period of storage in a safe, & I've heard others mention this as well. Would it be something to worry about w/ this gun?

Thanks in advance for any help...long shot!

I cannot give you an exact measurement; but, I would say that it is easier than the Beretta trigger. Speaking from personal experience, I will eat a little crow. The DAO autos fire much slower than the tradional DA/SA versions, and even markedly slower than revolvers. The only exception seems to be the Kahr, particularly with the Elite trigger format. But, I will say the the Ruger feels good, subjectively, and the DAO is consistent for sure.

Good Pull

I owned one for a year and then traded in for my Glock. The opposite of what you are doing. Don't try to compare the P97 pull to a Glock. They're totally different. My P97 was very smooth but they do have quite a bit of take up. I didn't find this a problem because you can feel when the trigger starts to engage the trigger bar. Just take up the slack up to that point and when ready to shoot pull through the rest. I polished the insides to make it even smoother. The P97DC is the one I had but I must admit one thing. I may have liked the DAO better for just one reason. No decocker on the right side. At that time I was carrying IWB and the decocker would dig into my skin after a while. In the DAO the slide is slick for quick acquisition.

If you buy this gun you will never be sorry. Especially when you consider how much you payed. Even after getting my Glock 30 I still think the P97 is the best value on the market, bar none.

Besides that, Rugers customers service is unbeatable. After about 3 months I developed a slight click in my trigger pull. After the armorer at Ruger talked me through a complete dissassembly to check the problem he decided it was best to send it in. I told him that it's my primary defense weapon and I need it back quick. He said no problem.
Exactly 8 days from when I sent it I received it back. They fixed the problem, Sent me an extra magazine, and get this...They paid for shipping both ways.

"Does anyone know what the trigger travel to discharge is in DA mode, & is the pull fairly smooth? Also, is the reset long in DA or SA, & what is the approx. pull weight for DA?"

The DA pull on the P97 is very smooth AND rather light. In fact, both SA and DA are better on my P97 than on my Sigs.

You must wipe down a Ruger P97 SS once a month and do not keep it in an air-tight safe. I use Breakfree CLP. Ruger SS P series slides are prone to rust but with care, you will be in good shape.

What??

Will Beararms,

P series Stainless models are prone to rust??? Did this happen to you? I had a KP-95DC for a year and never saw even a hint of rust. The only places I lubed were normal contact points (under the hood, barrel, lug, rails, etc.).

I'm not calling you a liar, it's just that mine didn't seem anywhere near "prone to rust." I don't get that impression on the Ruger forum either.

Just my experience...

Glocktiger:

Both my old P90 and the new P97 have tried to rust on me. It is a weird, fine grain corrosion-like substance. Breakfree CLP and a copper brush knocks it in the head.

Goto http://www.rugerforum.com in the semi-auto handgun section and look up a post by the forum administrator Nick Van Houte for detailed pictures.

Trigger travel in DA measured where the trigger finger engages it is about 7/32". Reset to DA is about 3/8". Reset in SA is about 3/16". The pull on mine is pretty smooth and tolerably heavy. I wanted is just a tad lighter so I dropped in a Wolff hammer spring 2lbs. lighter than stock (the lighter spring is still heavier than many DA autos have stock). It took all of 10secs. and now it fells really nice without being too light. Marcus

Back