Questions about Remington Subsonic .22 LR ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTR

I own a nice Mark 2 Ruger .22 LR pistol, and I am looking for an ammo that's not too loud, as the repeated loud noise bothers me. I do use muffs. I've heard the Remington Subsonic is a bit quieter, but wanted to hear your thoughs about it.

1) How much quieter is it?

2) Does it have exposed lead?

3) Will the it have enough kick to operate the bolt properly?

4) Is there another brand of quieter .22 LR ammo that you can recommend?

I have used the RWS and Remington subsonic in my MKII , it cycled OK but I did not notice any difference in loudness . In a bolt gun with a long barrel it will be a little quieter but still loud . Good luck , Mike...

Try some of the target velocity stuff, or see if your Ruger will shoot CB-Long. Find a friend with a .22 revolver, then buy a variety of ammo and see what works and how they compare in sound level. If it don't work in your semi-auto, it will in the revolver.

In a revolver with a 6" barrel the CB-Long barely makes a sound - relatively speaking compared to normal velocity stuff.

In a .22 I always go for the standard velocity, or target, or CB-long. If I need more snoot than that I move to center-fire stuff.

You could always go to the Agelia .22 SSS (Sub Sonic Sniper) with the 60 grain lead bullet. It functions the actions of my .22 semi autos and .22 conversion units (Colt and FAL). It is just damned expensive. And the 60 grain bullet is a plus.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Jim,

Ever fire any of this out of a suppressed Colt (w/conversion)?

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

my fatherinlaw uses them for squirrel hunting. they work well and don't scare off the already nervous louisianna squirrels!

May I suggest you use ear-plugs...please?! Even the softest .22RF will hurt your ears permanently -especially indoors. May I recommend EAR brand, they are so good you hardly know they are there and are cheap and hygenic.Please use them, even experienced people do. You are NOT a whimp...OK !
As regards sub-sonics in your Ruger, I find there are some problems without a super-clean gun using ammo in the 950-1150 fps range, but 95% will cycle the action in our two Ruger bbl Mk1 club-guns, but they have no spring modifications.
Remember the velocity is really adversely affected by the short pistol barrel and even supersonics rarely get to "crack", but have more kick and blast of course.
Have fun... but watch your back-stops!

------------------
***Big Bunny***

Fire .22 CB loads.
They are quite - but wont cycle your action.

------------------
"America is a melting pot, the people at the bottom get burned while all the scum floats to the top."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Schmit, Never tried them out of a supressed Colt with a conversion unit. I have fired them out of a supressed Runger Standard Model. The accuracy was worse due to the shortened barrel in the can. But all you could hear was the slide and the "thunk" of the bullet down range. If I had a suppressed Ruger Standard model I think I would want a longer barrel even if the can was not quite as quiet for better accuracy.

They also will run a full auto Ruger 10/22,, a Butler Creek magazine of them would just ruin your day.

I would suggest that you get a box or two just in case.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Jim,

In responce to your post.... I think that is an excellent suggestion!

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

BTR please go to the ear doctor!
I did rock and roll for years with front row acccess, worked on the flight line with military jets and have been an avid shooter for ever! I can assure you that the Rem subsonic in a Rem 541T won't even get your neighbors attention "if they have my ears"
You must have a problem with your hearing and really need to have it looked at.
In all sencerity please have it checked!
Best of luck,
Hank

Hank, thanks for the concern, but I think I'm ok. I'm a new shooter, and have only got a chance to try out my Ruger once, with standard bullets. I did wear muffs, and occasionally plugs. We shot a bit, and my ears felt kind of funny for a day or two afterwards. I'm wondering if it is just "in my head" as I got kind of spooked by reading about all the hearing loss, etc suffered by people on this forum. I just want to make sure I can enjoy shooting without damaging my hearing. I do intend to double up on plugs and muffs from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back