Questions about Parker Bros. shotgun.

Correia

My friend has purchased a side by side 12 gauge. He is seeking information about its history and value. I would estimate the gun to be in good to very good condition. Mostly the finish is worn.
These are the markings:

On the side: Parker Bros.
On top of the barrels: Parker Brothers, Makers, Meridian, Conn Vulcan Steel

Other side: Pat'D Jan 18 Aug 16 1887
May 7-Oct 8 1889

V

Any information about where he can learn about this gun would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I posted this in Harley's forum, but didn't get any responses.

It appears that your friend has a standard grade Parker with fluid steel barrels. From my limited knowledge of parkers you have a V grade gun, which is the basic model. Vulcan steel means that the barrels are not Damascus, which probably means you can shoot it with modern smokeless powder, but have it checked out by a gunsmith first!

You might try this BBS for more information:

www.gunshop.com

Go to the bulletin board and ask, don't let the trolls get to you, there are a lot of knowledgable people there.

Geoff Ross

Fancy Parkers in near new condition go for fabulous sums. Field grade shotguns in usable shape still fetch respectable amounts at the present.

Amen on having a smith check it out, but chances are your buddy has a good shotgun there.

I have one one these basic model Parker Bros.
I recently spent $500. to have it restocked.
That ought to tell you that these guns are classics and worth a lot if in decent shape and shootable. I've taken hundres of dove, quail and rabbits with mine despite it having had it's barrel cut down 3 inches and left with cylinder bores.
They range in value from $1000-$2000 for the basic (unengraved) models. Fancy grades go for more than $100,000.00 (that's ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND). What makes them expensive is the superb engraving and less popular gauges, like "sweet" 16s. The internal mechanism is the same however. I saw one last summer for $1750. in Tucson, AZ.
Check Shotgun News and Guns America websites for current market prices.
If your friends is shootable, stick with standard loads, I wouldn't risk magnum types loads, though I think it could handle it, but would hate to find this wrong with a blown barrel.
Enjoy it, it's a true classic (production stopped in the 1930's), and anywhere you go where people know shotguns, it will always arouse interest, regardless of condition.

I have passed on the info. Thanks guys. And the gun is mostly used for shooting clays, so he has only used standard pressue ammo.

Ahh TFL, where else can you learn so much obscure stuff so fast?

Thanks.

Correia, I have just learned of the following website that may be of interest to your friend:

http://www.parkergun.org

Geof Ross

[This message has been edited by K80Geoff (edited September 13, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by K80Geoff (edited September 13, 2000).]

Back