Questions about Glocks. Models 27, 30, and 33

That_one_guy

Inactive
Has anyone had experience with the Models 27, 30, or 33 compact Glocks? Which caliber is the best for personal protection, ease of use, etc. out of .40, .45 ACP, or .357 SIG. I have heard these models were discontinued but I am interested in purchasing one, preferably new. Where should I look?

I have the 40 Glock 27. It looks small, but it has a big butt, like all Glocks. It is not easy to just drop in a pocket like a J frame S&W centennial, unless you are wearing a big coat. For IWB it is a little short to ride well. You might try a Glock 22 or 23 which carries concealed on the hip much better.

The 45 Glock is a much larger model, even though it's mini compared to the original Glock 45. You might consider the 40, I believe it's better than 357 SIG. I'll stick with my j-frame and Glock 23 and Colt 45 Autos for carry.

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785

I've tested 200gr +P ProLoad Tactical Grade, 185gr Winchester Silvertip, 165gr Federal Personal Defense HydraShok, 185gr +P Georgia Arms and 185gr +P Remington Golden Saber with a .45 ACP Glock 30 and found that all of these bullets (except Remington Golden Saber) exhibit inconsistent or nonexistent expansion performance when fired through four layers of heavy denim cloth and into standard ordnance gelatin. Of all the loads I've tested so far I'd rate the 185gr +P Remington Golden Saber to be the best "all season" cartridge for this pistol because penetration and expansion performance are pretty consistent in both bare and denim covered gelatin. It ain't perfect (all bullets I tested expanded after passing through denim cloth, but a few shed their jacket and the lead core penetrated 18+ inches), although it's the best I've tested so far, in my opinion. The drawback is recoil and muzzle flip. ProLoad 200gr +P is a superb "summer-only load" where light clothing is anticipated. Georgia Arms 185gr +P is a good "winter-only load." Both the Silvertip and Personal Defense loads failed to expand after passing through denim cloth and all the bullets I tested penetrated 18+ inches.

Given the performance I've observed, I suggest you consider the .40 S&W G27 over the .45 ACP G30, if you want to go big bore. As for .357 SIG, the last performance data I reviewed showed the 125gr JHPs to penetrate very deeply after passing through heavy clothing, more deeply than 9mm 147gr subsonic. All the bullets expanded, but they didn't expand to a large enough diameter to quickly slow and stop the bullet.

If you're concerned about overpenetration, I believe .40 S&W is the best choice (at this point in time) when considering which mini-Glock to choose. It has a wide range of bullet weights that are driven at sufficient velocity to ensure more reliable expansion performance than .45 ACP and more optimal penetration than both .45 ACP and .357 SIG. This is bound to change in the future as .357 SIG ammo is refined.

I've not researched the ability to safely and successfully convert the G27 to .357 SIG or the ability to convert the G33 to .40 S&W. This might be something else to consider.

------------------
/s/ Shawn Dodson
Firearms Tactical Institute
http://www.firearmstactical.com

[This message has been edited by Shawn Dodson (edited December 09, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Shawn Dodson (edited December 09, 1999).]

The Glock 30 with the 10-round mag is just about the same size as the compact Glock 23 or 32. If concealment is your goal, the 27 or 33 would probably be the better choice. If 45 is your favorite, by all means go with the 30. I have shot my dads 30 and think that it needed the Robar grip reduction that he gave it. I have and carry a 23 and have grown to love it. I think that it is the ideal concealment/general purpose pistol. But I am a fairly big guy at 6'4" 220lb and the 23 may be too large for you to conceal.
As for what caliber is best? Any between 9mm and 45 will work fine with quality ammo. As for ease of use, the 45 caliber G30 is a little easier to control than the 23, but I don't know about the 33.

Sure do like my G27. I carry in a paddle holster and it is comfy and conceals well. Glocks are great defensive pistols, but they ain't no target pistol.

I have both the 27 and 30. Decide based on the caliber you like. I second the Pearce grip extension, you get 10 in the mag too. On the G30 I can't say enough good things about the Sprinco recoil reducer. I have one in the G27 too, but it should be standard equipment in the 30.

Back