Questions about conicals

Branko

Normally I am shooting .457 round ball with my Remington 1858, and I've got the sights filed down so it shoots roughly (given my accuracy shooting one handed, heh) to the point of aim at 25 metres (27 yards) with a 28 grain powder charge.

Anyway , last sunday I tried a chamber with conicals at the end of my shooting session and they shot a whole foot higher then round ball. The same thing happened before, also. Is this a normal occurence, or some sort of user error?

Thanks. Silly question on my part when I think about it - it makes sense, there's considerable muzzle rise shooting onehanded and the heavier bullet with a touch less powder spends more time in the barrel.

It just surprised me with the magnitude - suddenly I was hitting the top of the target - a foot away from where the balls were hitting.

I feared it might be due to them not seating properly or something, since I have trouble loading them properly. They are a touch wide (.452 and the cylinder mouth is .448), so it's hard to seat them straight.

Last edited:
conicals

The old Lee 45-200 were straight walled conicals with a .450 base

as I understand it the new mould is slightly rebated.

But if you want some to try now I got some 190's that should work just fine.

Just PM me

Also another reason for shooting high. the heavier bullet has more inertia. Thus more pressure has to build to get it going.
Thus momentarily it is moving just a bit faster as it leaves the barrel.
another thing can be the rifling.

"The old Lee 45-200 were straight walled conicals with a .450 base

as I understand it the new mould is slightly rebated".
DD4 is correct on this. i purchased the lee mold last year and the bullet heel is indeed rebated.

I have a .375 Lee conical mold and the base isn't rebated but the whole bullet is tapered up past the last grease groove.

Back