Questions about 38 Super on Lt Wt Commander frame

Glamdring

First is there any problem with using alloy frame for the 38 Super? I would think since it has less recoil it should be eaiser on the frame.

Second old style mags for 1911 hold 7 rounds in 45 and 9 rounds in 9mm/38Super. New style ones hold 8 round in 45 acp will they hold 10 rounds in 9mm/38 Super?

How much velocity can I expect to lose in the commander length barrel vs 5" with 38 Super loads? I not looking to make majer but would like to break 1300 with 124 gold dot and 124/130 FMJ.

Any smiths you would suggest for making a carry 38 Super on a lt wt commander frame? Don't need, or want match grade accuracy. Just want a reliable gun.

I suggest you contact Cylinder and Slide in Fremont, NE for a deal on building a LW Commander in .38 Super. They have a web site, etc.

Re: Durability. The .38 Super has approximately the same energy as a .45 Auto, so the alloy frame is probably fine. Less felt recoil in .38 Super comes from this round pushing a smaller projectile.

Re: Velocity loss in the shorter barrel. Of course, YMMV, but my guess it is nominal, again, as in the .45 version.

Remember, from the inception of the Commander in 1950 to the appearance of of the steel-framed Combat Commander in the early 1970s, all Commanders had the alloy frame and were made in .45 ACP, 9mm, and .38 Super. I am sure Colt's production of the LW Commander in these three calibers continued until the early 1980s. Hence, with some searching, you can probably find a good used one. Try Gun List and similar publications.

Re: Magazine capacity. It is nine in .38 Super. Aftermarket ones made by Wilson's are ten.

Finally, be prepared to spend $$$$ on this project.
Of course, you can save yourself major dough and go with a Glock 19 and run hot NATO stuff through it all day.

The caliber needs to be 38 Super to simplify legal and logistic problems.

The Wilson 10 round 38 Super mags are not extension mags like 10 rounders for the 45?

Sounds like a great project...

You occasionally find a ltwt cmdr in super on the auction sights they seem like they go for about $700 to $750.
If you are looking for same thing without the Colt name you could get a Caspian (http://www.caspianarmsltd.8m.com/) alloy frame for about 155 and a slide for about 180. Throw in a ramped barrel for about 125-150 and you are in it for a lot less and have something with tighter specs, but without the Colt name. the only problem you could possibly have would be using an agressive hollowpoint could damage the aluminun ramp with a lot of shooting. some say yes, some say no. but that is easily fixable with either a frame insert or a ramped barrel.

Gunsmith I would suggest would be George Smith at EGW...good guy who runs a great shop. (http://www.egw-guns.com) You'll get some velocity loss, but if you are reloading that shouldn't be an issue. Factory wise I couldn't tell ya as I haven't measured that ammo lately, I know my corbon carry load is about 1400fps with a 125 out of my 5inch so that should stay within your parameters.

Wilson 38 super mags, and McCormick super mags hold 10, do not extend past butt of gun except for bumber pad.

I too would suggest 9x23...cool round, factory silvertips go about 1450 with a 125gn HP and the white box soft point goes neat 1500fps with a 124SP. but like you say, you have reasons for the super..

good luck

Have a source for...

...a near-new Auto-Ordinance pistol in .38 Super; drop me an e-mail if you're interested.

1. I have no financial interest in this;
2. This is a pretty rare pistol [made in one year only].

Back