question?

mike6975

i know the colts have a threaded arbor to prevent fouling build up,could you take a tap and die set and tread the cylinder pin to eliviate or help the binding some along with lubing the pin itself?.just a suggestion don't mean to sound dumb just trying to perfect the gun i love,WAIT she is perfect i just want her to keep purring>

mike

I don't understand - you speak of a threaded arbor and threading the cylinder pin. To me the terms 'arbor' and 'cylinder pin' are synonymous on a Colt. Can you be more specific as to what parts you are referring?

I think he means to have the Cylinder Pin threaded or sloted to keep lubricant on it for a Remington copy or a Ruger OA.

If that's the case I don't think I'd thread it. Maybe cut some shallow grooves in it. The 58 is already flat on the bottom. That seems to hold lube fairly well on mine.

On both of mine as well but ya never know what some one may come up with that'll be better.

After 3-4 cylinder loads I have to wipe mine down a little & relube the pin to keep mine going but that's to IMHO.

Raider2000 said:
I think he means to have the Cylinder Pin threaded or sloted to keep lubricant on it for a Remington copy or a Ruger OA.

Ok, that would make sense. In that case we need to say that the Colt arbor is slotted, not threaded, and that the purpose is indeed to hold lube, I believe. The Remington 1858 New Army/Navy does have a flat side for the same purpose, although it is not as effective. I don't believe the Ruger OA has such a device but mine has never bound up so I can't say I ever checked to see (I'll look tomorrow).

WRT the Remington, I'd be concerned that slotting the arbor/cylinder pin would weaken it considerably, so it doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

This might be a dumb QS, but cutting slots into the
cylinder pin, would that not weaken the pin? i know
that the pin is not as thick as the colt version, i do not
get any probs with mine fouling up i guess it depends
a lot on the lube you use.:confused:

sorry gentlemen i was in a hurry to get to football practice and didn't proofread my post(shame shame) i apologize for confusing everyone.

mike

Mike it has been done to Remington 1858 NMA Revs. A groove cut around the cylinder Pin to try hold more lube for the cyl. to turn longer and smoother.
I prefer to use my Lube pills, easier cheaper, works better, or you can do both I suppose.

Just to let you know Mike the confusion was that Colt arbors are theaded to the frame at the rear and held with a lock pin.

SG

Back