Question?

DOCSpanky

Did Remington ever offer a bolt .308 in stainless, with a heavy fluted barrel?

------------------
I thought I'd seen it all, until a 22WMR spun a bunny 2 1/4 times in the air!

Sure, the VSSF: Varmint Synthetic Stainless Fluted.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.

Looking at the Remington website, I guess they don't offer the VSSF in .308. I'm pretty sure they used to offer it, with some sort of ported barrel.

OKAY, Remington if they did offer it, no longer do. Where can I look for one or who may have made one without jumping into the $3000 custom rifle class? .308 is my minimum I am looking for.

DOC, after reading your post I whipped out my trusty Gun List in hopes of finding you one there......to no avail. :(
However they are often offered there for sale. You can check back with each new issue on line by going to www.collectit.net assuming you do not subscribe. ;)

------------------
Gunslinger TFL Imperial Potentate

TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000

DOC,

I was looking for the same rifle about 2-1/2 months ago, a Remington Model 700 VS SF, w/stainless steel, heavy fluted barrel in .308Win, to be a range complement to my SS M1A.

Here is what I found: Remington discontinued the whole VS SF (Varmint Synthetic, Stainless Fluted barrel) line a year or so ago and only returned a few models to their lineup this year after supposedly receiving significant interest among the varmint hunters. Unfortunately, the .308Win model was not re-offered this year along with the varmint calibers (.220 Swift, .22-250, and .223).

So, I posted on the Auction Arms "Wish List" a WTB for the Rem700 VS SF in .308Win and to my surprise was contacted within a few days by a guy who had one nearly NIB to sell. He offered it for $625, which I assume is nearer the old list price versus the new list price, $916. I bought it immediately and am in the process of outfitting it with Leupold's 4.5-14x50 Long Range Tactical scope, just waiting for the LR base and rings. I'm hoping it'll be ready for break-in and sighting-in at the range next week.

So, my experience is they are out there. Good luck finding yours.

For reference see http://www.remington.com/FIREARMS/centerfire/700vssf.htm

Back