Question to reloaders regarding .32H&RMag max loads...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim March

Cor-Bon has some proto 60gr JHP in .32Mag that a recent magazine clocked at 1,300fps from the new Ruger Single Six .32Mag with a 4.5" tube. So far no word on when they'll ship commercially.

That puts you right up into .38Spl energy levels :). What sort of loads and velocities do the reloading manuals list as "hot" in .32Mag, esp. with 60gr JHPs (which are widely available as a component due to use in .32ACP)?

Does anyone know any other sources for factory serious power .32Mag fodder?

I've always loved my convertable .22LR/.22Mag single six and a .32Mag version seems...oh ya. But only if really good fodder is available...?

Jim

Jim, remember the full name is 32 H&R mag. It doesn't rank with the 357, 44, or 41. I've forgotten what the max pressure is, but if you look it up it's probably close to that of the 38 +P.

Having said that, the odds are the Cor-Bon can be equalled or surpassed by handloading in relative safety, but if going that route, I'd rather have the thing rechambered for the 32-20 so there would be less chance of someone sticking one of the reloads in his grandpappy's old Iver Johnson.

.32-20, eh?

Not a crazy idea...only big problem I can see is that the Single Six cylinder was originally intended for .22s. So...I can see how they might have a problem physically getting six bores drilled in that are .38Spl sized at the base. If I remember right, the .32-20 is bottlenecked, right? So the fatter rear section might be hard-pressed to cram into that cylinder six at a time. You'd maybe have to go to five-shot.

If I were to buy this one Ruger, it'd be the only .32Mag I'd own. Keeping a few ultra-hot .32Mag carry rounds around wouldn't seem overly dangerous. (Then again, I'd be willing to bet an SP101 in .32Mag could also handle some monsters.)

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back