Question: Swiss Rifle w/matching bayo - Common?

DennisCA

Last year I bought a K-11 that was all matching w/matching bayo.
I assume that matching gun parts (bolt/mag/ect) are fairly common.
How about a matching bayo - common or uncommon?
:confused:
I was looking on Simpson Ltd (where I bought my K11) and didn't see any Swiss rifles that had any.
(unless I missed some - which I may have).
:eek:

Last edited:
Not common, but not rare. It's definitely a plus to find a matched set. Adds $100 to the value of the pair, IMHO, after adding value of the bayonet itself, so around $150-$175 additional.

If it's the sawback bayonet, those run about $200 by themselves.

Condition is still everything.

They used to be quite common and very inexpensive. I have seen reports (no personal experience) that say the round is an excellent deer hunter.

The 7.5 mm Swiss round is every bit the equal of the .308 or .30-06 round, you can use it on any game you would hunt with the American .30 calibers.

Not rare at all. When the rifles were issued the serial number was inscribed on the bayonet. If the bayonet was lost or damaged, the armory simply issued a new one and inscribed it with the rifle's number. It wouldn't matter if you found a rifle with the original bayonet or not. There is literally no way for anyone to tell except the, most likely, deceased soldier to whom it was issued.

Last edited:
+1 zfk55
The Swiss have always been know for strict discipline and keeping good records. Unmatched rifles were more than likely caused when the rifles were imported. Several importers managed to keep original bayonets with their rifles.

That was my point, Chiefr. Who told the importer they were the original issue? Not a way to tell one way or the other, and that, in my mind leaves the whole thing a moot point and not worthy of a higher dollar figure.

*chief, there actually is a way for anyone who has what it takes to access the original archives on individual rifle serial numbers. Anyone want to go to Bern?? :D The armoury records on specific rifles would show how many beyond the original issued bayonet had taken place. Only one issue?......... "likely" the original bayonet... but not absolute. That might be worth the extra $$s. *

Last edited:
Interestingly, I have been to Switzerland several times to include Bern, but that was over 30 years ago. I have been told the same soldier kept the same rifle by SN throughout his service and reserve status. SNs were use to show who belonged to the rifle. Information on the owner was kept under the stock. I have to think real hard if I have ever seen a K31 or 1911 that had mis-matched parts. Most of the surp Swiss rifles I have seen were in great shape. Stocks maybe a little dinged up.

Me too, Chief. During the late 60's I was in and out of Switzerland virtually every weekend. I lived in Neu Isenburg, 10 km south of Frankfurt and had a St.Bernard I bought from Hundezwinger von Sauliamt in Ottenbach Switzerland and began showing him there as a pup. (I think I've pretty much dated myself with thisone)

MANY years ago......... Me andBitus v.Sauliamt in CH.

I was attending Graphics school at Kunstschule Westened, Offenbach am Main back then.

And you're right about soldiers and their rifles. Mismatched parts happened in the 60's and 70's in the main and it was done by Importers like Goldenstate Arms.

This little gem came from CH to me around 10 years ago or so. It's virtually mint with an engraved Swiss Dagger.

And in case it isn't apparent.... I'm not Latigo and don't have an account here. Latigo is my Son. He's out of town so I'm watching his forums for Swiss rifle questions. I hope an old man breaking board protocol doesn't get him in trouble.

P

Back