Question specific to the RPR .308

jclayto

There seems to be lots of info on the web for the RPR in 6.5. I understand the benefits of 6.5, however, I am more interested in a .308. This choice is due to the fact that I already have quite a bit of .7.62x51 ammo on hand and lower component costs for reloading 308.

Does anyone have any experience specifically with the 308 RPR? I do not plan to compete at this point but would like a solid rifle to learn the basics of distance shooting. I foresee this rifle mainly being used on the 300 yard range at my club, with perhaps an occasional field trip to a local facility that offers 1000 yard + ranges. This rifle will be used with a Rugged Surge suppressor most of the time.

Is the accuracy and feature set of the RPR versus the Predator worth while? I hear internet rumor that the free float barrel on the predator is too flimsy to support the weight of a suppressor. If the RPR is the same barrel as some posts claim, does it suffer the same issue?

Last edited:
I have a RPR in 6.5 CM, I got it because I have plenty 0f 308s.

But my understanding the 308 is just as good, the only difference id the Caliber.

The 6.5 CM is just more popular among the Precision Rifle Shooters.

If you like the 308 get it, you wont be disappointed in the RPR in 308.

Later you can always switch barrels if you want. Its easy on that rifle.

I found one of these locally and am going to go look at it tomorrow.

I'm probably going to pick it up and use it for hunting and attempt to get into some long range shooting. Its in 6.5 though.

Good luck with your new rifle, ImMunney.

I found a 6.5 and .308 locally, both enhanced. I am thinking for my use, the non-enhanced will be fine as the enhanced muzzle brake would immediately be replaced with my suppressor brake.

With that said, I am awfully tempted to try out a predator 308 for the cost savings. I would rarely go further than the 300 yard range at my club. Tough decision..

I feel you there. I have been looking at the predator as well, but I've been wanting the AR-10 build and I feel the RPR is a good compromise.

There is a HUGE money difference. Like, enough for me to buy the predator, buy ALL the reloading equipment I need and be happy.

But... its not the RPR

Keep me posted on what you decide.

On a local gun forum here in NC several LR shooters were disappointed with the RPR in 308. Just not very accurate. But no gripes from the 6.5 or the 243 crowd.

Have the 6.5 and 308. The 6.5 is more accurate, and heavier. The 308 may be a little light for a precision rifle, depending on purpose. Am probably going to re cut the crown on 308, see if it helps.

For some purposes, the 308 may benefit from a heavier/fuller profile barrel. Out to 300 yards, not much problem.

Take a few days and read this.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_16_3/2241_Ruger_Precision_Rifle.html&page=1

You need a suppressor ? Anyway, no it is not the same barrel. Not even close.

Spend some time on the Ruger website. Then go look at the guns in person.

The few people I have spoke with in person with RPR are 100% 6.5 owners. That is a very small sampling. FWIW.

There is nothing special about accuracy of RPR, it is all about sniper rifle features. "precision rifle" is a code word (pc) for "sniper rifle". There are many, many rifles that will deliver the same level of accuracy and many will be much better. Serious PR, SR shooters like the ability to replace shot-out barrels and do the mil-teck accessory thing.

Thank you for the link. I am digging in to the ar15.com thread. I am leaning toward avoiding the RPR 308 and try to convince myself to buy a 6.5.

Fourbore, I don't "need" a suppressor but I certainly enjoy using one. The decreased noise, reduced recoil, and improved accuracy make for a more pleasant day on the range for myself and those around me.

I'm a 308 bench rest shooter, 308 is a great round. When this barrel needs replacement for the second time, I'm going with the 6.5 CM. Very accurate at longer distances with less recoil. A friend of mine has the Savage LRP rifle in 6.5CM. Nice shooting rifle, l favor Remington 700, have about 3000 rounds to go before I would think of a barrel change. Give the 6.5CM a hard look before you pull the trigger on a 308. Both are nice rounds though. Good Luck.

I picked up a PRP in .308 and will be testing it over the next week. I shoot lots of 30-06 so have the powder bullets etc and a set of dies for the .308. I will shoot this barrel out or if I replace it, I may go to the 6.5, all depends on how it performs as is. I don't go out much over 100-300 yards as we don't have the ranges here that go beyond that. I moved a Vortex PST over to it for now and will use that for glass. Later, might get another NF BR as I like that a bit better than the Vortex.
I have 125's, 150's and 165/168's loaded so we'll see.

I foresee this rifle mainly being used on the 300 yard range at my club, with perhaps an occasional field trip to a local facility that offers 1000 yard + ranges.

1000 yards with a .308 is a stretch. "+", would make it a really poor choice.

and lower component costs for reloading 308

Granted, you've got to buy Hornady brass at about double the least expensive new factory brass. Figure ten uses conservatively, you're at $.07/round instead of $.03 or $.04. Pennies...

There's no difference in the cost of match-grade bullets. Sure, you can get pulled .308's or blems for less- but they're useless at long-range.

Whelen's "Only accurate rifles are interesting" needs to include "Only accurate ammunition is interesting"- because the former cannot realize potential without the latter. Meaning- since you're handloading, cost of ammunition is not a consideration. It would be a different story if you needed to buy factory ammo (and even then, Hornady's is cheap compared to .260- and no more than match grade .308).

I just don't see an advantage to .308 for your application given that even occasional forays to 1000 yards are planned- and you handload.

1000 yards with a .308 is a stretch. "+", would make it a really poor choice.

308 at 1000 is not a stretch with the right parameters but the 20 inch barrel of the RPR does it no favors. A 28 - 32 inch barrel is much preferable if shooting a 308 at 1000. A 20 inch barrel is going to make staying supersonic difficult unless you really hot load 155s.

I'm not sure why Ruger short-changed the 308 version of the RPR with a 20 inch barrel. Would be much better with a 26 inch like the .243 version, or better a 28 or 30 inch. The Ruger web page for the RPR says "1600 yards. Enough said". With the 6.5 and .243 maybe. With the 308 and its 20 inch barrel, not so much.

Sure, the 308 bullet will travel 1600 yards if you aim high enough. Hitting something with repeatability... not likely. Would be tough, but doable, at 1000, nigh impossible at 1600 with a 20 inch barrel.

First and second trips out with the RPR in .308.

On the first round, I ran patches down the barrel every 5th shot and that gave the barrel plenty of time to cool between groups. I was somewhat surprised that the barrel didn't heat up much in the first place, most of mine do more quickly....hmmm

The 125 gr sst's Hornadys and the 168 gr. match Hornadys shot the best groups with some in the 1/2 inch range per each. These were loaded using Imr 4064 and H4831 respectively.

The 165's and 150's were at best 1 inch plus for 5 shot group sizes. I used H4895 and IMR 4064 in those.

The RPR is fun to shoot with mild recoil and I shot probably 70 rounds that afternoon. A lot of time was spent sighting in the scope and making adjustments to the stock. The trigger seems on the light side so no need to adjust that, works great and is comparable to my Jewel in the 700 LR.

The second trip was a repeat of the first with a pretty good wind whipping around and the target moving a lot. I was also shooting a sporterized 1903 Springfield I use for hunting so it was back and forth. Unfortunately the RPR
all of a sudden was shooting 6" to the right! Looking at the windage turret, it spun freely and then fell out. When I say fell out, I mean just that. You can look inside the scope and see the framework for the reticle. Not good folks....I will be having a conversation Monday with Vortex.

All in all I like the gun with a couple exceptions. The mag pul mags are heavily sprung and put a lot of pressure upward which makes the bolt a rather stiff exercise when cycling. The mag also has a bolt hold open shaped follower so you can't close the bolt after the last round without reaching in and depressing the follower.

The other thing I'm not all that thrilled with is the smoothness of the butt adjustments. Clunky at best and I'll look into lubing it up a little to see if it makes a difference.
I think both issues are solvable, the first with a different mag and hopefully the second with some lube in the right place.

For the next round I'll need to mount a different scope.....hmmm

Last edited:
tobnpr, you raise valid points to which I cannot argue.

supercub, thank you for the range report.

I have decided to hold on to my cash for now. I predict a 6.5cm in my future but not now.

Back