Question regarding Winchester 670 stock

the45er

Fellow shooters,

Do you have any idea whether a stock from a Winchester Model 670 30-06 would work on the same model rifle in 243? I cannot find whether or not this model rifle was manufactured with two different stock dimensions to accommodate long and short calibers.

Thank you.

Do you have a way of measuring the front and rear action screw spacing on your 670? That'll tell you if you need a long action stock or a short action.

Post-64 long action = 7.575 inches.
Post-64 short action = 7.035 inches.

It's 7.575 but does that tell me what I need to know which is whether or not a Model 670 243 will fit into this stock? I have a stock that came off of a 30-06 and I'm trying to help a fellow whose 670 stock was burned in a fire in the early 1990's.

Did you measure the .243 action or your stock? I don't know if M670 rifles were ever offered in the short action. Screw spacing is the only way to know for sure which stock you need. If the .243 was built on a long action, it will fit the .30-06 stock.

How bad was the fire? Did it just char the original stock or did the stock burn completely up? I'm not sure I'd try to put the rifle back into service without a more thorough inspection.

Probably. Prior to 1984 all model 70's were long action. It looks like the 670-production stopped in 1979.

But I'd still measure to be sure.

I think all the 670s were long action blind magazine rifles. There might be some minor fitting involved and there may need to be some filling of the extra space due to the shorter magazine of the .243. You might have to sit a block in the recess for the magazine for the shorter .243 box.

The warning about the condition of the metal is a good idea depending on the condition of the original stock. Lightly charred? Maybe OK. Seriously burned wood, odds are the metal was exposed to too much heat and is ruined regarding the safety of firing the gun due to the heat treatment being compromised. Better to be safe than ssorry.
Paul B.

I think all the 670s were long action blind magazine rifles.

I'm pretty sure they were all long actions too. But not all had blind magazines. Over the years they made some with floorplates and some had walnut stocks instead of stained hardwood.

It was a cheap grade of walnut, but real walnut. And they even made a few with a Remington style 2 position safety instead of the traditional Winchester 3 position wing style safety. Why, I have no idea, but they did tweak the rifle over the years it was in production.

And then there was the 770. It was basically the same as the 670. They were also a budget version of the 70. They are quite rare. It is my understanding that version was intended for export sales only. But some were sold here or made their way back somehow.

Some photos of the 2-position safety

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...vt=winchester+670+2+position+safety&FORM=IGRE

jmr40 said:
And they even made a few with a Remington style 2 position safety instead of the traditional Winchester 3 position wing style safety.

I currently have a 670 with the safety you're talking about. I bought it cheaply enough I can live with that safety.

Back