Question re: HK91 Barrels

Reboot

Inactive
Does anyone know where I can get a barrel to replace the one on my Springfield SAR-8(HK91 clone)? I would like to get a polygonal 'rifled' barrel if possible - like found on the SR9T(?) or maybe a barrel from an MSG-90. I just don't care for the stock barrel on the SAR-8. Nothing is 'wrong' with it. It is accurate an all but I don't care for the fake "flash hider" look alike on the end of the barrel. I'd much rather have just a plain target crowned muzzle. I want accurate but I like the look of the MSG-90 barrel.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Where can I find and who will do the work on these rifles?
Thanks group.

I believe you can get the MSG90 barrel from H&K, Sterling, VA. However, when I was in contact with them, it was to have one installed on my H&K 91. THAT required it to be shipped back to Germany for factory installation, at one year turn-around time. Cost is just under a grand. I passed.

Consider finding a German or Portuguese variant parts kit, with the barrel, and ask the dealer to sell just the barrel. Negotiate! Don't get a select fire kit AND have a semi-auto gun, or risk running afoul of BATF's regs.

Reboot, have you tried contacting Springfield to get their input? They might be able to put you in contact with a supplier or gunsmith who can give you what you want.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

Maybe you could just have your barrel cut and crowned by a quality gunsmith. No expensive new barrel, no fake flash suppressor, just a target crowned muzzle and a happy camper.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

[This message has been edited by blades67 (edited October 26, 1999).]

Mykl,
ONE YEAR TURN-AROUND!?!?! Gulp! Forget about it! One G??? Worth it? I don't know about that. I'll keep looking for barrels though.I round a company who says they will be happy to make a custom barrel for me but they don't install them.

Blades67,
What I'm looking for is a longer target/match grade barrel for those far away shots. The current barrel just looks too short and skinny for my taste. It probably still shoots better than I can though.

Does anyone else know who may be able to work on these rifles? Someone I can trust?

Thanks. I will also follow up with Springfield to see if they can help.

I was told at armorer school that the barrel was swaged into the trunnion, and then pinned. HK in Virginia has the equipment to do the MP5, but I guess there's another press and quite naturally, different jigs for the G3. For the price they want, I'd get another gun.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back