Question re: ASP and Kali

AdrenalineJunky

Whenever I go to the city, I carry my asp with me. It's small, I think 14" or 16", and I've used it a few times while working security. The gym I train at offers kali, which I might take anyway just for the heck of it, but I'm wondering if this would compliment the use of the asp or increase the chance that I might really hurt somebody--not excluding myself. My concern is that the baton is meant to be a defensive weapon, whereas kali, at least this is my assumption, is equally offensive and defensive. Liability is a big issue and, in the event that I do have to use the asp, I want to cover my rear. It has great intimidation factor, which has helped me out of a couple jams, and I've been lucky enough to not have to take it past that.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

AJ

In the ASP certification course they train you to subdue your attacker with techniques that are basic stick/baton/short sword strikes that don't permanently disable or kill. ASP's intent is to provide a tool and fighting system that will allow you to subdue your opponent without risking killing them with minimal training. In escrima you will be taught stikes that can kill, disable and disarm. It will take time and effort to learn, but will provide good fighting skills if you keep up with it.

You should certainly take the escrima as it will provide skills that you won't get just walking around with the baton in your pocket (or are you just happy to see me :rolleyes: ), but remember an ASP can be a deadly weapon if you stike to the head or neck and can maime if you strike to the face. The legal system will treat you as if you are carrying a weapon and you may be in violation of the law if you don't have ASP certification as well.

I think you would be better off taking an ASP/BATON specific training course. That way you will be able to employ the tool in the manner that you wish to.

Back