Question on vaquero sheriff's model

Derringer

I recently bought a used vaquero sheriff's model 3 5/8 ss with ivory grips. The gun has never been fired. Should i keep the gun unfired or should i go to the range and have fun. I assume since its a ruger not a colt the value won't increase for several decades. I was told that this was a limited edition of only 1500.
opinions welcome !!!!

I'm unaware of your particular version of the Ruger Vaquero. Ruger revised their Y2001 catalog to include their "Sheriff's Model" which has a 3.75" barrel, birdshead grip frame, and black macarter grips. This version is available in either blue or stainless. During the past 2 months I've obtained 2 of these, both in stainless.

However, on a business trip to Birmingham (AL), I saw a Ruger Vaquero with what appeared to by a 3.5" barrel. (The retail dealer was Southeast Gun in Centerpoint and the price was less that what I paid for my Vaquero Sheriff's Models!) The gun was stainless steel and had ivory type grips. But, unlike my guns, it did not have the birdhead grip frame. I presume this must be what you have (?). Some of the big distributors (Davidson's, AcuSport, et.al.) are getting limited productions variations made by Ruger.

In my humble opinion, I would not hesitate to shoot it. Seems like there is an increasing number of "limited edition" models being added and this will not inhance the value of any of them. Winchester is an example of this and they used a zillion versions of "limited production" models to provide financial liquidity and "postpone" ultimate bankruptcy.

Enjoy your Ruger!

Shoot it!!!!! If it truly is colectable it'll retain it's value. Obviously not 100% of it's value will be retained but I don't believe it would be instantly worthless. I love my birds beak Ruger but regret passing out on the one Sheriff's model I had a chance to buy

There's been three runs of 3.75" barrel Vaqueros. The first was .357, the second in .45LC, and the third is .45LC with the bird's head.

None are convertables (.357/9mm or .45LC/.45ACP).

The rare variant Vaquero I'm more interested in is the .45LC/ACP double cylinder convertable in 4 and 5/8ths tube.

I had a chance to compare the feel of the 3.75" barrel .357 against a 4 and 5/8ths .45LC, both with the standard Vaquero grip in steel (not aluminum). They both felt like they had about the same heft, the same degree of "nose heaviness"...which tells me you're saving so much weight in .45 that you don't really need a super-short tube.

that's a beautiful gun

I shoot the heck out of mine,
don't have any luck with factory loads, however, I had to load some near max 45, loads to get it to shoot real straight, hopefully yours will eat the factory stuff.

Jim said: "The rare variant Vaquero I'm more interested in is the .45LC/ACP double cylinder convertable in 4 and 5/8ths tube."

Jim, you probably know that these are (or were) available from Davidson (distributor in AZ). My dealer tells me that these were "special orders" and only available through Davidson's. My dealer had 2 of these 45Colt/45ACP convertibles and while I was "thinking about them" both sold in less than a week! Presently my "gun fund" is tapped-out, but I will contact Davidson's in January to see if any of these are available.

In my opinion, the current 45 Colt Vaquero Sheriff's Model with birds head grip and 3-3/4" barrel feels a bit "chunky" but not particularly barrel heavy. Based on my experience, I would not want any longer barrel with this grip frame. This grip leaves no place for my "pinkie" and cocking it brings the hammer into the web of my hand. Still the current Sheriff's Model fills a niche and is interesting and accurate. Well, interesting enough I bought 2 of them.

Did not know about the .357 version of Vaquero Sheriff's Model. The older I get the more I miss!

Back