Question on ultrasonic cleaning

CReynolds

I have recently gotten a hold of an ultrasonic cleaner and was thinking of using it to clean my handguns. I got some info from the MPro 7 web site, but I still had a few questions if anyone can help. First, after I remove the firearm, how long should I let it sit so that it dries properly? Second, when I lubricate, should I put some oil down the firing pin hole? I don't normally do this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Coley

I don't know much about ultrasonic cleaning, but I do know that you DON'T want to oil the firing pin of 99.9% of the pistols out there! This is one area that should be clean and dry.

Some mfgs offer a lubing solution which is ultrasonically applied. This means dumping the slide assembly in complete. I caution against this as any lube dripping from the firing pin channel, spring, firing pin (and perhaps firing pin block assembly) may disable the primer.

While this is no problem on a 1911 or Browning HP or CZ-75 or Glocks, all of which feature easy to remove firing pins, on other guns like the Sig series pistols or Rugers (to name a couple of brands off the top of my head), it's a different matter altogether.

Back