Question on Tulammo 308

kruuth

Inactive
Guys, my local range has just passed a rule that doesn't allow magnetic ammunition and I'd like to find some cheap 308 ammunition. Ammoseek lists Tulammo as the cheapest stuff right now, but I haven't looked into reloads yet. Is this stuff magnetic? I haven't found an place that says it is or isn't and I don't want to go buying a bunch of ammo I can't shoot. Is this stuff magnetic?

Well, the cases are steel so that's likely to be magnetic in and of itself. But I believe the bullets might contain steel also.

Just a warning, Federal XM80C cartridges will also attract a magnet.

Bad news!
Why would a outdoor range ban steel!
Would it include my favorite Hornady Steel Match?
They are case only steel.
Are they are worried about steel cases left on the ground?

They're claiming that magnetic ammo proves that they're not lead, they're steel or something and that's a fire hazard that hits the stop.

Tula's bimetal bullet jacket is copper washed steel. 'Cheap' and '.308 Win' ammo don't go together much.
"...Why would a outdoor range ban steel!..." Usually because stupid people have been shooting range equipment and destroying it. Some places think the sparks created by steel jacketed bullets hitting steel target holders, etc. will start fires too. Range conditions would have to be extremely dry for that to happen.
Graf's is listing Prvi 175gr FMJBT, .308 at $17.29 per 20. Boxer primed reloadable brass. No mention of magnets.

My FIL's range applauds steel cased ammo because they have a giant magnet they use to clean up at the end of the day...less sweeping for everyone

After buying a case of Tula .223 that wouldn’t run in any of the half dozen rifles I tried running it through I decided the “savings” weren’t worth it.

Check out the silver bear softpoint ammo. I think its 145gr or something odd like that. It's a standard cup and core copper jacketed soft point. Before I started reloading I shot a lot of them. Even took a deer with them.

Fires are a big deal.

I get it,maybe you can't imagine a steel bearing bullet can cause a fire.Some folks have already learned the hard way steel bullets can and do cause fires.

This was not exactly a steel bullet.It was copper/lead.A Nosler,I think,from a 7mm Rem Mag.

I use a couple of rebar pickle forks for target stand uprights.Ipound them in,and stuff a piece of black cello-tex siding in the fork.I staple my targets to the cello-tex.

I was sighting in at 300 yds and my windage was a bit off. I clipped the rebar.

I thought I saw a whisp of smoke from my target. Nah,couldn't be.

Then,"By golly,that IS smoke."

By the time I jumped in the pickup and got to the target with a GatorAde fire extinguisher,I had flames.

This was rolling grassland/sage on a private ranch a long way from help. A good breeze was blowing. Dry sage burns like is been sprayed with kerosene.

That made a believer of me.Copper bullet,but the steel spall from the rebar lit it up.

Folks have been starting fires by striking steel to a rock for a long time.

The range is making a legit call.

FWIW,here in Colorado,between the danger of stray bullets and fires,Roosevelt and Arapaho National Forest sport shooting is in the process of being severely restricted or eliminated.

Back