Question on the m14 and m16...

Both guns are designed to hold the bolt open on the last round. This is not apparent to the firer untill he realizes that pulling the trigger is not firing the weapon. However looking at the action should make the empty state obvious.

On the M14 there is a visual cue as the action is just under the sight of the shooter(That might not always be the case for every shooter though, I noticed it when I had an opportunity to fire an M1a(M14)), not the same for the M-16. For that one the above mention method has to be used.

fanoblack

You shoot 'em enough and you can feel the difference too - the difference between a bolt being driven home by the recoild spring and one that stops and stays in place, holding the spring back. I usually can tell when mine runs dry, but wouldn't want to depend on such a subtlty under fire!

+1 on the recoil. When I was in the Army I handled a 16 often enough. You pull the trigger and you only feel about half of the motion you normally do. My Marlin 60 does the same thing, though on that rifle the action seems to be almost louder than the round going off.

Yea recoil will tell you when its empty and also the sound of the shot. My AR makes a different sound when it fires the last round compared to all the other rounds before it. Thats how i can tell

Back