question on screw torque-ing for rem 700

Norrick

I don't know if torqueing is even a word or if I mispelled that so sorry in advance. I have a remington 700 (BDL) that I installed a detatchable magazine trigger gaurd assembly onto and I'm running into a small problem.

The trigger gaurd screw in the front now goes up through the reciever and interferes with the bolt. I can back it off to the point where it no longer does this but then the screw is much looser than what I think it should be. Do I need to shorten the screw so I can properly tighten it without the interference? And how tight do I want to make it. For the rear screw I'm just tightening it down to snug and then a little bit past it, but I cannot do the same with the front...

It's best to thread a nut onto a bolt before grinding the end. Removing the nut then chases the threads so the bolt will start properly into the original hole.

I've built up a pretty good collection of tools in my "gunsmith box". One item is a set of Swiss files, just for chasing threads or getting a proper fit in dovetail slots.

It's best to thread a nut onto a bolt before grinding the end. Removing the nut then chases the threads so the bolt will start properly into the original hole.

I've built up a pretty good collection of tools in my "gunsmith box". One item is a set of Swiss files, just for chasing threads or getting a proper fit in dovetail slots.

Art Eatman

I used to have two thread files (square) that covered all the normal threads. Of course someone walked off with them. The nut on the end is a good idea.

Back