Question on revolvers that fire more than 6 shots

skeeter

Specifically thinking of the 10 shot SW 617. What is different , in feel, between the standard 6 shot and 7, 8 or 10 shot revolvers. I woulkd imagine that more effort is needed to pull the trigger but they might fire faster? Will they stay in tune/time as long? Any information would be appreciated? Any problems or things I should be aware with the SW 617?

Comparing essentially identical guns, a 627PC eight shot and a 27-2 six shot, I find little difference in actual pull weight, but the eight shot is quicker. There is a noticable difference, and it took some adjustment in DA mode. Worked fine, just felt a bit different. Not sure how to describe it but the two do feel different. Both are quite smooth and sufficiently light. SA mode feels identical of course.

More rounds = thicker cylinder and harder to find speedloaders in most cases. That's probably the largest difference I can think of. The faster firing time does make sense too.

What is different , in feel, between the standard 6 shot and 7, 8 or 10 shot revolvers.
Everything.

The 10 shots might be great plinkers in their own right. Using one as a substitute for a six shot Model 10 or !9 (66) just didn't work out for me in D/A mode. The indexing of the cylinder, and hence the trigger gets things all bollexed up. I got rid of mine (617) and concentrated on using the $400 price tag of it for extra .38 Special components.
If you're thinking of using the .22 as a cheaper alternative/substitute for the 10 or 19, try to find an old Model 17 or 18. I gave up trying to find one for a reasonable price though. Everbody here claims they can find them for $200 to $250, but all of em I've seen are between $300(real shot out rats) and $595(as NIB unfired):eek: (Although there is one, a 6" at the local dealer for $365. that's about 98%)

(jumping up and down and slamming the keyboard)
The #@@$%@ problem is the dealer also has:
a.) an unfired "Dirty Harry" 29-2 6 1/2" w/presentation case.
b.) Buckmark Camper in Nickel.
c.) Lew Horton 3" Model 29-4.
d.) an Unfired Model 29-2 in bright Nickel.

Back