Question on reduced loads on a 223

I got a box of Win 45gr bullets, in a trade. They look identical to what is in Win .22MRF cartridges.

Thought they would be fun turtle plunkers.

Loaded up with 5.0 gr Unique. They fall about halfway between .22MRF and .22 Hornet.

Scope set for 100yards with 64gr deer loads, they are dead on at 50 yards and shoot quarter size groups.

Very quiet, too

Seen stuff on reduced loads before.
What is the purposes? 223 is very mild recoil wise. Most of the stuff I have seen is to use cast bullets or to go subsonic with standard bullet weights. In a bolt gun or single shot works fine. Semi auto it's not going to function well.

I don't know what gun you have, but for the AR and Mini-14, you can Buy one of the 22 rimfire conversions if you really want a reduced plinking load.

I have a Remington 700 in 223. I have 2 loads. Hornby 55 gr. Sp , 5.0 gr. Of 700x c c i 400 , 1575 fps. Number 2 ,34 gr. Dog town hp. 6.0 gr. 700x cci400 , it's going 2150 fps..

Again, why do you want reduced loads? 223 is pretty mild recoil wise. I'm not understanding the purpose? Both the loads you listed are going very slow. Too little powder in the case can cause detonation and blow the gun up. Are you using a filler to take up tge extra space in the case?

I loaded some subsonic 223 loads when I first started with 223's. Found the load data on Hodgden site, something like 3gr Tightgroup w/55gr FMJ & after making up 50 I realized these were intended for 223 bolt action rifle. They shot great but not enough to cycle the bolt on a semi-auto.

That does save a fair bit of powder. Ever considered switching to something like 22 hornet. It's pretty similar in weight, velocity, and powder use to what your creating by downloading the 223

I shot this deer several years ago with my 223, 40 gr. Hp with 4.0 hrs. Of unique power. Shot him in the neck at about 50 yards.

Attachments

• reduced_20211005_84855.jpg
    reduced_20211005_84855.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 42
I shot this deer several years ago with my 223, 40 gr. Hp with 4.0 hrs. Of unique power. Shot him in the neck at about 50 yards.
And you can take deer in the eye with a 22, that does not make it wise or ethical. I can't argue with results, I dont know you or your shooting ability or hunting techniques, and looks like a good hunt, but I will stick to full power loads with heavy well built bullets through the lungs or heart.

Using AA 1680, I have loaded a bunch of 40 to 50 grain loads in the 2000 to 2200 fps range, that actually will cycle the action on a normal AR.

40 grain frangible and 40 grain .22Mag pulls have been the bullets I have used mostly.

I have not got around to trying Trail Boss with 77s yet, but plan to at some point.

MarkCO said:
NO! Old wives tale with NO evidence to support it!

You have to distinguish between NO evidence and NO evidence you've run into. There is in fact a description of a blown-up 308 Win rifle that nearly cost the shooter his eyesight that was loaded with just 3.1 grains of N320 described on the Finnish Gunwriter's site. Dr. Lloyd Brownell reported measuring low charges very occasionally doubling normal full-load peak pressure in his laboratory measurements of the 30-06 at the U. of Michigan. He pointed out the problem with studying the phenomenon is statistical. The extreme pressure events are very low probability outliers for the pressure fluctuations produced by loads below about 40% case fill, so an awful lot of firing usually has to be done to run into one such event. But it isn't something that never happens. This more recent Master's thesis by an explosives engineering student mentions an explanation on page 30 having to do with combustible vapors from powder accumulating and then igniting. Detonation of explosive gases is not unusual. In engines, we call it knocking.

Tested a lot in AR15 using 55 grain bullets with pistol powders with no load data. As you can see, some were subsonic, and we went back later and adjusted some of these loads down subsonic.
http://natoreloading.com/subsonic556/

What we found to work, may not be safe for you, or work for you. We used cotton. With the cotton, we were able to produce some of the lowest standard deviations on this planet for 5 shots. Ok that was just theater...nobody knows what lowest SD's on earth are.

But under 1, and 1 for 5 shot group, has to be right up there.

The lowest would be zero, and it has randomly occurred with some strings, but normally is not repeatable. All it takes is for all the shots in that string to have the same velocity. Of course, that begs the question, does the resolution limit of the chronograph play a role, and it does. If you have s chronograph that reads tenths of a foot per second, its zero SD strings would be fewer and farther between.

This is in the old Lyman book. If you can shot lead you can shot jacketed bullets . Been playing with the reduced loads since the 1980s and had no trouble.

Attachments

• reduced_20211009_144721.jpg
    reduced_20211009_144721.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 26
Back