Question on installing DNZ tactical game reaper scope mount

ezmiraldo

Hi all! Just got my DNZ one-piece base/rings (thanks, Brian, for nudging me in that wise direction). It has 4 screws per ring. The instructions say the torque force should be set to between 22 and 25 pounds for ALL screws. This seems a bit weird to me. I wonder if I should be using slightly more torque on the screws that attach the base to the firearm (since the screws will go into the steel material of the rifle bore), and should use a bit less torque for the screws that attach the top part of the ring to the bottom (since the rings are aluminum). What do you folks recommend? I hate bugging DNZ, since their instructions are very clear - use the same torque on ALL screws. But, I thought I'd ask experienced folks on this forum before I proceed with installation. Thanks a lot, in advance!

P.S. In case this information helps: I use SWFA 6x42 scope, Savage 111 Trophy/Hunter 30-06 rifle

Last edited:
I do not use their suggestions for scope torque. In fact, my Minox scope instructions say that torque above 15 in-lbs can damage the tube and void the warranty. You won't hurt the rings at 25, there's a lot of threads there.

Short answer, I use 15 in-lbs.

Thanks Brian! I think my SWFA 2-mm thick scope tube should handle 20-25 pounds of torque force, what do you think? I want to get her as tight as possible, without damaging anything.

I would check the scope makers instructions, see if they have suggested numbers.

If not, you could start at 15. If it holds, you don't need any more. The down side is that if it doesn't hold, you risk marring the scopes finish where it slid in the rings.

You're probably right about tube of that scope handling 25 in-lbs.

I guess if SWFA doesn't give a number, my gut would tell me to try 20. It's hard for me to believe that wouldn't hold unless the total weight is light and the scope is very heavy.

Back