Question on gunshop protocol & manners...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RH

Okay, I don't want to be the subject of someone's rant about idiots here, so what is the proper protocol when shopping ?

The clerk will give you the weapon with the action open (right?), and what is the customer allowed to do:

- work the action ?
- rack the slide ?
- pump the pump ?
- dry fire ?
- test the sights ? how ? pointing where ? with the action open or closed ?
- how about if you want to test for mount & swing on a shotgun ?

I'm always very timid when shopping knives or guns - gingerly handling them, placing them on the counter the way I received them. I'm always worried about doing the wrong thing.

In the shop where I worked, we didn't have a problem if a customer wanted to work the action once or twice. Occasionally we had to rein in someone who was pumping a shotgun's slide like a maniac for some reason.

We tried to minimize dry-firing.

As far as checking the sights or checking the mount on a long gun, basic safety rules apply. Most customers were really good about not letting the muzzle cover anything it shouldn't.

Our biggest problem was with people who took their gun handling instruction from movies and TV.

(I agree with RH about moving this thread.)

First thing I always wanted people to do was to DOUBLE CHECK to make sure that the gun was clear of any ammo.

That always told me that the person knew something about handling guns.

Closing/working the action? Sure, normally no problem, unless you get really wild with it.

On a semi-auto, do NOT simply thumb the slide release and let it slam home. That's kind of tough on a gun, and I'd always bark at people who did that.

On a revolver, do NOT close the cylinder by twisting your wrist. That is the quickest way to bend the crane. I threw a guy out of the gunshop a couple of years ago after he did THREE times. I warned him after the first two, and the third time he did it he was looking me right in the eye and smirking this crappy little smirk. I took the gun from him, and when he started to ask to see another one, I told him that he should find another gunshop to patronize.

Dry firing? Ask first, don't just do it. Some shops don't mind, others do. And, depending on the gun, it may not be prudent.

Sighting? Just make sure you don't point the gun at someone. I always get a look at the sight picture by either pointing the gun at the floor or by pointing it at the ceiling. Just make sure you don't pan the counter help while you're doing it. That always pissed me off to no end.

Disassembly? Another variable. NEVER just start taking a gun apart. If you're truly interested in purchasing the gun, it shouldn't be a problem. If you're a looky-loo, don't even waste the people's time.

I can't tell you how many idiots would take a Ruger .22 apart, and then wonder why in the hell they couldn't get it back together again.

Just keep safety first in mind at all times.

If in doubt about anything don't ever be afraid to just ask to person behind the counter. Different gunshops have different policies.

RH - you read my mind in your second post. :) The other gun shop thread belonged in General also but it filled up so fast we decided not to move it.

Moving to General Discussion forum...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back