Question on FFL Dealer Transfers

jki

Inactive
Does anyone know if the FFL-licensed dealer who is transferring a firearm to another FFL dealer, is required to send a signed copy of his FFL along with the firearm, in order for the receiving dealer to properly accept the transfer?
I know that the receiving dealer must send a signed copy of his FFL to the sending dealer before the firearm is sent, but must the sending dealer also provide a signed copy of his FFL?
Thanks for your help.

The sender isn't required to provide his FFL, as he isn't the one doing the NICS check. I think that's the rationale, anyway.

------------------
A vote for the lesser of two evils is still a vote for evil.
Vote Libertarian - For A Change.

The sender must provide his FFL to the receiver so a legal chain of responsibility is established.

Jim

There is no requirement in federal law for anyone to send an FFL to anyone else, HOWEVER, it is necessary for the information to be logged in EACH dealers bound book, one has a firearm being transferred off and the other is logging one into his, and it is the sending dealers responsibility to be in compliance with the federal requirement that he is sending to a licensed dealer. The easiest way for this info to exchange hands is for each dealer to send a voided copy of the FFL. In my experience, the sending dealer will almost always request a current, signed original, FFL to be certain that he is in compliance with the law, as this is about the only way to be certain. At the very least, he will then have documentation that he was acting in good faith and tried to be in compliance should a question arise.

The receiving licensee IS required to provide a signed copy of his FFL to the shipping licensee. See 27CFR178.94 (Sales or deliveries between licensees). It states "A licensed dealer selling or otherwise disposing of firearms to another licensee shall verify the identity and licensed status of the transferee prior to making the transaction. Verification shall be established by the transferee furnishing to the transferor a certified copy of the transferee's license and by such other means as the transferor deems necesssary." This is also on page 49 of the "Yellow Book" furnished to each FFL holder.

Back