question on an old winchester

ddcon1

Inactive
I Have a Winchester 30.30 built between 1926 and 1932 that I can find little or no info on. It is a Model 55. I have seen pics of a standard grade, but this one is not standard, it has a pistol type grip stock, Winchester medalion on bottom, metal butt plate, fancy grade walnut, checkered fore stock and shoulder stock and is also a break down model. Can anyone shed some light on this? The museum says that files for that time were lost in a fire at some point

Sounds like a deluxe takedown !?!? Photos would be nice? this would increase the value depending on condition and originality of the gun.

While Model 55's could be "Special Ordered" with a pistol grip stock (remember this is 10 years prior to the Model 64), it was issued uncheckered, with the logo gripcap and either a Model 55 serrated metal BP or a hard rubber BP.

IMHO, ANY Model 55TD, with a checkered PG stock of high grade wood should be evaluated and authenticated by an EXPERT, since there are no official records available - and, if authentic, it would be considered very rare ( Deluxe Model 55 TD), on the order of Hen's Teeth.

Winchester 55

I will bring the rifle out into the light of day, since it has been stored away for so many years. I will take some pics and attempt to upload them here. May need some help with that since I am new to this

Pics of M55

Here are some pics of my 55. If anyone can help with any info on this item it will be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• Model 55 (1).jpg
    Model 55 (1).jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Model 55 (2).jpg
    Model 55 (2).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 27
  • Model 55.jpg
    Model 55.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 27
If I could offer some unsolicited advise, it would be from a collecter with 40 plus years of experence dealing with antique guns, mostly Winchesters. I cant count the number of Winchester takedown rifles I have seen that are so loose they cant shoot accurately. Seems everyone that has a takedown rifle shoots it once and takes it down 10 times. The one peice of advise I would offer it to clean the gun up while disassembled then reassemble the rifle and never take it down again. Winchesters were especially prone to loosening up and accuracy goes out the window. Winchester did design a tightening up feature but it doesnt last long and then it is loose again.

M55

Thank you for the advice. I have had this in my possession since the mid 60's. I hunted with it when I was about 14. Since that time this has only beeen fired about 20 times since and has been stored away for years. I have taken it down maybe twice. It is still very tight and the last time it was fired it was still dead on. I have no plans to use it in the future and it was thourghly cleaned before it was put away. Just seems I cannot find anyone who knows about this particular rifle.

Back