Question on ammo

bikenjam

I'm going to start shooting a service rifle this summer at the local matches. Last year i shot a garand, but know i'm moving up. Its a reduced corse of 200 yards. My question is this: Do you see any problem with using winchester USA 45gr. JHP ammo for the match? The stuff is availible localy for 12 bucks per box of 40. I'm just a little concered if wind is going to be a problem.
thanks for any input

I would would use 55 gr. at a minimum. My .02 cents anyways. As for moving up from a M-1 I would shoot it until it hurt scores.

If you can hold position with a '06 that little 223 sure isn't going to move you around.

Why would you shoot the M-1 untill it hurts scores? Heres the reasons i'm switching. Two years ago i shot my first match with a friend armalite national match AR. it was in the high 300's out of a perfect score of 500. I wasn't to disapointed considering it was my first match. This last summer i started useing the ol' garand. i couldn't beat the score i shot with the AR that whole summer. When i took the garand to the bench to see how it was grouping with the lake city match ball ammo, i could see i big factor in my low scores.

So, thats it in a nutshell. Also, they sell winchester USA 55 FMJ ammo in 50 round boxes, I'll try some of that when i get my new upper.

Even a stock grade Garand with milsurp ammo should be able to post scores in the 450's if not better. Granted, the AR is a lot easier in the rapidfire stages.

I'd lean towards 55grs. For a full distance across the course match, you'll need to go with the heavier match loads which take a certain amount of twist, and you may want to take that into consideration when you order your new upper.

at the matches i'm shooting at, all the stages are shot at 200 yards. As for a 450 with a garand, i think that depends greatly on the specific rifle

My M1 has been bedded, but I have shot over 420 at 200 yards with LC53. I also am new to high power, so that's pretty good for me.

Tim

Back