Question from hunters safety course

bookkie

This weekend I compleated my second time of taking the hunters safety course in CA... First time was when I was 11... I'm now 48... here is one of the questions on that test.

"When hunting on private land where you have permission from the owner, you must carry with you written permission from the owner at all times".

True

False

I'm curious to see how many of you out there would get this one right.

------------------
Richard

The debate is not about guns,
but rather who has the ultimate power to rule,
the People or Government.
RKBA!

Ummm. . . I think it's false in IL but I refuse to state any firm opinion on any law--been burned too many times. Actually, it's not a bad idea on private property but I still doubt it's required. I know it isn't required in practice here, having encountered LEO's on private property before (I had permission, but they didn't know that.)
:)

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

I suppose that regulations vary from state to state, but in Ohio the answer is TRUE. I often hunt land owned by my uncle who is also my next-door neighbor. I always carry written permission from him, just in case.

BTW, it's been 22 years since I took that course. (wow, am i gettin' old!) Would you recommend taking it again, bookie?

------------------
RKBA!

"A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you." - Ramsey Clark

"Rights are liable to be perverted to wrongs when we are incapable of rightly exercising them." - Sarah Josepha Hale

In Texas, it's any county with a population over 1,000,000, you have to have written permission with you while hunting.

I'm saying (guessing) the answer is TRUE in CA.

In VA you must carry written permission when hunting on posted land and you must have verbal permission when hunting on unposted private land. I think I would get written permission on unposted land anyway. On the other hand, if you are a renter on a landowners property and have their written permission, you don't even need a license to hunt.

In Tennessee, definatly TRUE! In fact the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency will supply you with a wallet sized card just for this if you ask them for some.

In Wyoming the answer is TRUE. In fact, more and more states are requiring written permission, but the law is only enforced here when the landowner requests a citation be issued for tresspass to hunt. To quote from our regulations, "The license must bear the signature of the landowner, lessee, or agent of the owner on whose property he is hunting as evidence that permission to hunt has been granted."

I hunt on private property most of the time and I have verbal permission from dozens of landowners. However, I have no signatures on any of my licenses. If anyone should ever complain or deny (or forget) they gave me permission, I am screwed. In addition, if you obtain verbal permission from a manager or lessee it means nothing if the owner should decide otherwise.

Generally, the answer is TRUE. It is up to the hunter to prove to the peace officer/conservation police that they have obtained permission from the landowner. Written permission signed by the landowner in the possession of the hunter while in the field proves that permission was granted.

Often times the landowner doesn't live on the property being hunted, he may not be home, or he doesn't answer the door to uniformed officers. If a hunter merely says he has permission but cannot verify it in writing, it is assumed that he is trespassing.

"...If a hunter merely says he has permission but cannot verify it in writing, it is assumed that he is trespassing."

(Grin) Lacking a valid, legal requirement for written permission, I'd like to be arrested on "suspicion of trespassing". Both my lawyer and I would be financially secure in our retirement. :D :D

You folks sure are turning me into a militant! ;)

(I don't quite know how to thank you...)

At least with hunting we have it easier than the USA, while we have guns at least In NSW you could carry a letter - but you really only have to make a statutory declaration that you have permission.
The strict hunting laws did suprise me, although they do help conserve the animals.

Dennis:

You hit the nail on the head, that is why there is a valid legal requirement here to have written permisson.

In Wyoming we have trespassing to hunt, trespassing and malicious trespass. These are three separate violations. If you have no intent and you are just plain lost (not hunting) and you are on private property, that is trespassing. You will be asked to leave. Do it again and you will be arrested for malicious trespass.

Hunting is different. Chances are, no enforcement officer would actually arrest someone for trespass to hunt without the landowner or manager actually filing the charge. They will however ask you to leave. If the landowner or manager requests that a trespasser be arrested and the trespasser is actually “in the field” the enforcement officer will try to reason with all parties but may well end up issuing a citation on the spot to diffuse the situation. Furthermore, it is the hunter’s responsibility to know if the land he is on is private or public land. There is no requirement that the land be posted, and no warnings need to be given.

This is a two-way street. If you are on public land, on say a BLM lease or school section and the lessee asks you to leave it is hunter harassment. Personally, I find all of these laws a bit frustrating but they are necessary. It seems we have people who feel they can go anywhere and people who feel they can restrict all hunting on land “under their control” such as BLM leases. Tyrants and slob hunters, what a mix.

The answer is true in CA, but does very from state to state and in some states, county to county. I can see the landowners point in this... ie... delegating their police powers to the fish & game since they are so busy. My personal feelings... what right does the government have to interfer with an agreement between honerable citizens.

I guess I need to explain this... When growing up I used to hunt on a lot of different ranches. I knew all the owners and grew up and went to school with their kids. I did a lot of ranch work for them (not allways for pay). Most were personal friends. Take the Bill Bros. Ranch. It had some of the best goose hunting in the valley and I was the only one they would allow to hunt there. The agreement that I worked out with them was twofold. One that I kept their cattle water troff (sp) stocked with catfish during the summer and the other was I would, whenever around there, report tresspassers to them. It was just life around there. We all watched out for each other.

Today, I hunt on a couple of old timer's places. One I just recently told about the written permission laws in CA. He told me "Well F... them".

Bluesman:

Yes I would suggest taking it again... never hurts to be up on the latest, although I doubt that you would gain an awful lot from it. More important I would suggest that you think about becoming an instructor. Our gun club had to turn down over 250 kids this year as we do not have enough instructors to run them all through the course. And yes I am in the process of becomming one. Our young hunters are the ones who will help defend our RKBA.

------------------
Richard

The debate is not about guns,
but rather who has the ultimate power to rule,
the People or Government.
RKBA!

Alas, bookie, the times they are a changin'. When I was a youngster, I used to go shooting on the Irvine ranch in Orange County at the invitation of the owners. I think that if I went there today and starting shooting at the exact same location, I would probably hit some office buildings or an airport tower. I would most definitely be arrested and/or shot myself. We can only remember the good times and tell others about them, they will never be again.

Back