question for the USPSA shooters

champ198

ok USPSA shooters.
granted im jsut a newb and i am wanting to try my hand at USPSA. now the only gun i have to shoot with right now is my XDm 3.58 in 45 acp. i know this is quite a bit more gun than needed and would get a few more points with it shooting major power factor but thought i would ask you all about it and see what your opinions were on shooting it for USPSA at least to start with.
i know i would have to get mags and holster and mag holsters and so on but was wondering what you all thought of this.

To start, the gun isn't all that important.
As long as you can shoot it half decently, it'll do fine.
Pistol shooting of any type is more about skill and technique than equipment.
USPSA and similar competitions require plenty of both, in lots of ways that are not equipment dependent.
Like fast target acquisition, shooting on the move, around walls and doorways, under barricades, fast transitions from target to target, and much more.
So, at least for now, don't sweat the type of gun you have.

I'd run a full size gun but other than that I wouldn't sweat it on worrying which gun you have. I prefer 9mm because it's so cheap to feed. Unless you reload...

Ike

I wouldn't be too concerned about the gun. When I started in USPSA, I shot a single stack .45 with 8-round mags in Limited. I wasn't going to win anything, but winning wasn't my primary motivation.

I agree with others, shoot what you have, after a while if you find it doesn't work out find something else.

But I think you would be better off spending the money on rounds down range.

I shoot a S&W Model 64 (revolver) in USPSA.

he said, ninety grand later......(yes, $90K)

Go with what you have NOW.

You'll learn what you want NEXT :D

Last edited:
When you say a bit more gun than needed and reference shooting minor I assume you are shooting Production class then? Good place to be and no horrible handicap, you could always investigate lighter loaded .45. I know people who have made master class shooting a Glock 19 so compact guns aren't the end of the world.

Or you could move yourself to Limited 10.

As far as shooting what you have, I started in L10 with stock 1911s but became mainly a production shooter. Got bored, wanted to play Limited, had no STI to do it. So I stuck 22rd mags in my Production Glock 17 and went off to play, taking the minor handicap.

Back