Question for the .223 crowd

NoSecondBest

I'm thinking about getting a barrel for my TC Encore/Pro Hunter in .223 caliber for predator hunting and just general shooting. I must have slept through the last serious components shortage and I've never owned a .223 Rem before. How is/was the availability of this cartridge and components during the last shortage? I see that the big box stores always seemed to have certain calibers on hand and on sale regardless of the shortages. I may or may not reload for it depending on availability of loaded ammo. If I can find a decent loaded round that's readily available I may just buy a bunch of it and use it for coyotes, fox, woodchucks, etc. Any feedback?

I dont recall a shortage of 223s during the last drought.

Check MidwayUSA and other on line outlets and big box stores. You'll find the 223 is the most common and economical rifle round out there.

The same can be said for the 9mm in the pistol category.

Regardless of what you shoot, stock pile powder and primers. Get a bullet mold for what ever rifle/pistol/revolver you shoot. Save brass. Lead is free, so if you have powder and primers, you'll always be able to shoot.

You control primers/powder you control shooting.

During "that" shortage all the common calibers were gone from the shelves, .223 included. But pretty much all the non-common calibers were gone from the shelves as well. The few that were left, were probably so uncommon that they can sometimes be hard to find during normal times.

The nice thing about .223 is it's so common that there's plenty of options around so you can easily stock up just in case another shortage happens.

You say you may or may not reload depending on the availability of ammo at the stores. Learning how to reload now while supplies are easy to obtain might may big dividends in these uncertain times. You can always buy a # of powder/brick of primers here or there, but knowing what particular powder/brass/primer/bullet combo your rifle prefers takes some time at the bench and range.

Back