Question For Smith & Wesson Faithful?

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greeting's To All:

I have noticed that betweeen my newest additions, a 629-5 .44 Magnum and a 686-5 .357 Magnum that the markings alongside both sides of the barrel are completely different.
The 629 Classic appears to be laser engraved; while the 686
is the old standard stamped lettering. Why is this? Looks
like they would just do one or the other, on all models.
Any input would be appreciated, and many thanks in advance.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

I don't know the answer, but I'll give you a plausible theory.

The dies that manufacturers use to roll-mark (looks like stamping) occasionally break or wear out and are pretty expensive to replace. It is possible that as these break, or wear out, or as they need new markings due to model changes, that they are transitioning to the laser "engraving" method but continuing to use the older dies where possible -- because it's often less expensive and less bother to just leave the production routine alone until it must be changed.

Just a thought...

Thanks JNewell for your answer; and that does stand to reason. You know, I kind'a prefer the old way, as the lettering seems to be a bit deeper; making it easier for
some folks to see.:D:) In other words, they don't have to
wonder what type of firearm you are using.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Don't jump on me if this sounds ridiculous. Is your .44 a "Mountain Gun"? If so it has a lightened, thinner barrel made for lighter carry weight. It was once explained to me the barrel was laser etched because the normal roll mark on the thinner barrel might provide a place for a crack to begin.

Back