Question for NRA Basic Handgun Instructors

Swamp Yankee

What handguns do you use for the classroom and range when you give the Basic Handgun course?

I've also been requested to give a "Ladies Only" Basic Handgun class in the near future. Have any of you tied it in with the Refuse to be a Victim curriculum? I thought it might get too lengthy if I combined the two but would appreciate any input or experiences.

Thanks in Advance for the responses.
Take Care

I try to bring a small assortment, to demonstrate different action types, but not make it overwhelming. My "usual suspects" are:

Browning Buckmark
S&W M19
Ruger single action revolver (Vaquero or Single Six)
CZ75
Glock

I usually also bring a J-frame, but only to show that snubbies are more difficult to shoot well, unlike you see on TV.

Mike

If they know nothing always start with a 22

I had a friend that came to me mad becouse he took his wife out and tried to teach her to shoot and couldnt get any where with her. She shot a couple of rounds and gave up said she diddnt like it.
When I asked him what he took out to let her shoot he said "Just a Smith Model 19 with mags"
For those of you that dont know what a smith 19 is, is a mid sized framed 357 mag. not a lot of weight and quite a bit of recoil.
It scared her so much that she gave up becouse she thought that all guns kicked like that one did.
I took her out with a simple Ruger mark II (22 long rifle) and in an hour worked her from that gun up to a 38 and soon after a 9mm. She turned out to be a fair shot and learned to enjoy shooting with her husband, but never did enjoy shooting that 2 1/2 inch 19.
Any time I start out with some one new its always with a 22, lets face it people, If you cant shoot a 22 your sure as heck arnt going to shoot a 45 ACP.
Always start with something with minumum recoil and the minimum flash, bang.
That way they well get used the shooting befor they have to get used to recoil flash and noise.
Gun 1 Ruger mark II
Gun 2 Mid framed 38 with 4 inch barrel (19 works well)
Gun 9MM auto Beretta or Glock.
I never go larger on first class and most of the shooting is with the 22

I thought (been awhile since I went through the instructor's course) that it required a rimfire and centerfire?

Larry

Thats right DT Guy

BUt most is done with a rimfire, and I only move on to center fire depending on the shooter.
Like any instruction, it can be changed to match the student and should be.
Dont get the impression that I am an NRA instructor, but I have taken the practical pistol and basic rifle and the range that I shoot at I have helped the instructor we have (who is a Master NRA instructor) in so many classes that I have lost count.
He uses the NRA corses as a general layout and also feels that the corse should change depending on the person starting out.
His biggest problem is unlearning mistakes that people have picked up on there own.
We had one student that I helped with two weeks ago that had this shooting habbit that I had never seen before. He came to us with this problem of being unable to hit a target with any regularaty.
Befor we started him we sat him on the range and had him show us the way he shot.
With the gun pointed at the ground in front of him he would bring it up sideways and as the gun passed the target he would let go.
Over all he was safe, but when I asked him where he learned to shoot like that he said from the movies.
Once again Hollystupid strikes again.
In an hour we had him shooting well.

I always bring an assortment based on DA, SA, DSA, Revolver, Rimfire. I would suggest you read Vickie Farnam's definitive book on Teaching Women to Shoot.

Ozzieman said:
When I asked him what he took out to let her shoot he said "Just a Smith Model 19 with mags"
For those of you that dont know what a smith 19 is, is a mid sized framed 357 mag. not a lot of weight and quite a bit of recoil.
It scared her so much that she gave up becouse she thought that all guns kicked like that one did.

I have heard this same problem so many times it amazes me. In the back of my head I think some of our more Neanderthal brothers are actually trying to impress the ladies they are introducing to shooting by handing them the biggest, baddest, and loudest gun they have to shoot first as a learning experience. All they do is create one more person who has no interest in shooting...

I took my wife to the raneg for the first time early last year. She finally wanted to give it a try. The first problem was the noise. It was an indoor range and they can get loud. Even with foam plugs and a headset I thought the noise was going to give her an anxiety attack. After she settled down, and one or two Rambo wannabees departed, I had her shoot the .22 rifle I had rented for her to start with. If anything is going to build confidence it is a .22 rifle. No kick, minimal noise, and almost gaurenteed hits on target from the start. From that I moved her to my .22 High Standard target pistol. It is a real tack driver and again has no kick and minimal noise. Once she was feeling confident with that I brought out the 6" Colt Python .357 Magnum. The size of the gun seemed to really concern her but I promised her it would not be as bad as she expected. I knew she would be fine as I loaded it with some light 38 wadcutter target loads. In the end she put a couple full power 357s through it as well as some 10mm through my 1911. While not find of either she wasn't frightenned of them. If I had started her on either of those first she probably would have been done shooting as soon as she started. At the end she really enjoyed firing 38s through my Python, which is not a bad way to end the day.

Whenever introducing a new person to shooting we should always work them up gradually. This is especially true for women who tend to be targetted culturally to be anti-gun. I'm not saying they are, just that our society often reinforces that view. Save the 44s and other magnums for after your new student has gotten their feet wet and are comfortable.

Back