Question for Makarov owners

Hoppy

Hi Folks,

I have noticed that when I clear my Mak, I can see a small dent on the primer of the round ejected from the chamber. These are Hornady XTP's (real shiny brass), so it could be just marring the finish. In any case, there is definite firing pin contact with the primer when I release the slide stop to send the round into battery. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm starting to worry about the firing pin, for example, did I clean it well enough? what if the cleaner I used causes it to get sticky in there, enough to hold the firing pin forward to discharge?

Has anyone fashioned a firing pin spring? I thought I had read about on at makarov.com

Thanks! Hoppy

Many military guns have a free floating firing pin, the M1, M14, and Ar-15/M-16 come to mind. It comes with the package, but there's no significant risk of an AD from chambering rounds.

I've noticed marks on the primer but I wouldn't call it a dent. Maybe you have some gunk in there around the pin. I know I've had light hits on primers because of gunk and too light of tension on the hammer spring before.

Thanks everyone,

I figured I'm ok, since I've never had a problem. It just made me sweat the first time I heard it.

By the way, I just got a fobus paddle holster for the Mak, it works great and is very comfortable.

Back