Question for LEO, EMT, Firefighters

OkieCruffler

I've been thinking about getting a new carry knife and pretty much had decided on a CRKT Wasp, but then I thought I'd get the advice of those guys who actually use their knives on a daily basis for heavy cutting tasks. So what about it? What do you emergency personel carry?

I carry a Spyderco Eudura. But a lot of firefighters and police officers I see carry Benchmade switchblades. These Benchmade knifes are extremly common. Automatic knives are often seen because contrary to the legal blissninies, you often don't have two hands to open a knife or one hand is covered with blood that you don't want to get all over yourself. The nice thing about the Spyderco is that being all stainless, you can wash it or even autoclave it.

In reality, for heavy cutting, I have a pair of big shears that I carry on a fanny pack. I would have to get back to you on who makes them, but they are fairly expensive and will cut anything. I once went on a shooting call; cut the guys pants off and in the process cut through everything in his pocket including a few thousand in cash. These big shears are extremly common also. I am not talking about the ones you get for $5.00 at the gunshow or the flea market although to be honest those are almost as good. These are very high quality and cost close to $100.

I've got a good pair of trauma shears, not the $100 ones, I think I paid about 50, I seen a guy cut a nickle in two with a pair like them. Haven't tried that with mine, but they sure eat thru denim.

After losing several expensive knives on wrecks and other scenes I decided to go with the economy model stuff. For really heavy cutting I keep a Spyderco fully serreated rescue knife in my BDU's. For my turnout gear and wildland gear I bought a box of these $2.00 fully serreated knives. If thet tear up or I lose them on a call it is no big deal.

I carry trauma shears and a couple of Benchmade knives. (940 Osborne Axis Lock and a Mel Pardue Auto blade.)

I carry a Kershaw/Ken Onion Wirlwind Blackout "spring assist" in my pocket, a leatherman on my belt, and a S&W HRT fixed blade in my boot.

Andy

I carry an Emerson Commander with the wave in my weak side pocket. Makes a decent utility knife and opens faster than an auto in an emergency.

The Ontario CA Police Dept has developed an agency wide patrol knife program and after extensive review of knives available, chose the waved Emerson P-SARK. The unique shape of the blade allows the user to cut hard to reach areas. It is also a decent defensive tool.

Tim

I carry a REKAT Carnivour for utility-knife purposes (it will also make one hell of a defensive knife if the need arises), Gerber Multitool on my duty belt and a Spyderco Rescue on my gear bag (as a seatbelt cutter: I grab it if I beat our EMTs to an accident, which is rare, and its also strapped to the seat beside me if I get involved in a crash myself and need somethting to help slice my own dumb ass out of my car).

I'm eventually going to get a Fallkniven G1 to go in my off-side as a sidearm-retention tool.

Mike

Not a LEO/EMT but I carry a Benchmade 970ST (Emerson CQC-7B). Cuts all sorts of stuff great. Especially CAT-5 cable. :D

Back