Question for Jim March

I'm not Jim March, but I do have an opinion.

One of my heros, Bill Jordan--who actually participated in gunfights rather than merely writing about them; advocated the production of a .22 Magnum revolver built on S&W's J-Frame. He thought that it would be the perfect backup gun for law officers. This was in the days when the .38 Spl. was king in law enforcement and .38 J-Frames were state of the art.

It's all about the ammo availability...

It's a damned good question, especially since there's a number of people who want NAA to scale up the BW into a four or five shot .32Mag, retaining the SA action and spur trigger.

CorBon *was* going to do a super-hot 60grain JHP in .32Mag, basically using a good .32ACP projectile and making it go faster. That sucker would almost certainly beat out just about any possible .22Mag load in any barrel under 8" or so.

But that CorBon wasn't selling, so they killed it.

You could handload something similar mebbe.

The only other really hot .32Mag defense load I'm aware of is the MagSafe Defender. If I recall, that's a 35grain load doing better than 1200fps from even a short tube. Not certain though, I'd want to look at the specs.

Now, all that aside, the Federal lead hollowpoint .32Mag is, what 90 grains or so, doing about 800fps from a snubbie? That's still more energy than the CCI MaxiMag +V from the 4" tube. If you put that on target, no guarantee it'll expand but it WILL penetrate skull, which to me is the absolute minimum requirement for a mousegun load. So even with that minimum-level .32Mag, it's more effective than the hot CCI .22Mags. Not much more. Faster reloads though :D.

Yep. .32Mag wins. Mind you, it's a bulkier gun to conceal - the MiniMaster may be a hair longer but in every other direction, it just plain evaporates under minimal concealment.

I'd rather have five good .38+Ps than six .32Mags. If really good .32Mag fodder starts shipping, or I was a reloader, I might reconsider.

Last point: Taurus sells a J-class snubbie in 8-shot .22Mag, with a 2" or 4" barrel. With that many rounds on tap, and per-shot performance so close to .32Mag, that puppy bears considering for some needs, especially those who can't deal with .38 recoil due to injury/arthritis.

Thanks, Jim & Hank.

The problem with the Taurus .22 8-shot revolver is that it weighs 2 oz. more than my .25 oz. SP101, in which I not only can handle 38 + P quite comfortably, but can even shot 145 gr. .357 Silvertips without too much discomfort (- it's been ported by Jack Weigand).

If only Taurus would offer that .22 8-shot in Titanium...

Tyro: good point about power to weight. The steel 8-shot might still make sense for self defense with damaged wrists/hands though. Every once in a while we run into somebody like that who needs advice on arms, or God forbid, we could end up in that state ourselves one day.

If I had the loose money, I'd get one in 4" "just in case" :D.

But ya, a TI version would rock :).

Back