Question for George and any other smiths...

westcangunner

Ive asked this at the 1911 forum, but Id like to ask George and any other smiths here also.

What type and size of milling/boring/turning equipment do you guys have, and do you think that one of those 3 in one China/Korea/Tiawan machines has the grunt and quality for basic gun work...

Thanks

WCG

i used to have brown and sharp,bridgeport etc equip, the machine is good as its tolerances can allow........

westcangunner, I have a pre-war (not sure which war) Reed-Prentice 18"x48" lathe and an Enco (read Chinese) 100-1525 horizontal mill. The Enco cuts as accurately as any milling machine I've ever used. But I hear bad things about Grizzlys and if you like I'll send you an article about the Smithy 3 in 1 that isn't very encouraging. For the price, if you shop carefully you can get a nice lathe and milling machine. I got my lathe from a local machine shop for $820 delivered. The milling machine I got at www.machinetoolsauctions.com. I paid $781 for the mill and, this is the part that hurts, $620 to have it shipped from New Jersey. George

Back