Question For Gale, I mean Mac

HankL

Mac, you are the "Stock Man' forever! Please give us your thoughts on the Remington stocks with the "white metal" bedding structure!
Hank Lampe

You have pinned me down to do something I don't do. That's comment on competitors but I will make every effort to not knock their product. I can tell you the stock you are talking about started as a urethane foam that was reinforced with chopped fiberglass. That was very weak so they strengthened it by putting a thin Fiberglas skin on it. That strengthened it from outside forces but the action was setting on foam and that didn't have the strength to support the action during recoil so the action would virtually would move back far enough that the bolt would miss the bolt handle notch in a period of time. To eliminate this happening they molded an aluminum v block in the stock which increased the area of contact to the foam and helped solve the problems of the weak bedding material somewhat. This took place over a period of years. That is the history of that stock. I won't comment on who makes it for Rem but the method of making it allows the manufacturer to sell it at a very low cost to the gun manufacturer as the material is cheap and it is not labor intensive.

Well Sir, I have noticed angle of the dangle changes takeing place on the sling swivels etc. I don't like the foam filler myself! But, the bedding block "seems" to be a help.
I know That I will most likely do harm to this Remington "?" system shooting it but it's great at this moment.
When I'm ready, will you build me a stock to your spec that is similar to this with a little higher comb?
Hank

Back