Question For Cougar

Tim Croley

What type and brand of holster do you carry your 3" Taurus 85 in? Is it a ch or regular da?

I've decided that it would be just as easy to carry my 3" 85 as it would to carry the two autos that I was looking at.

Thanks!

Tim,

My Taurus 85 is a stainless standard model, made long before the CH came out. I have performed a little 'dehorning' of the sharp edges with a fine file and reshaped the hammer spur to a more rounded shape as well. (ain't stainless great? :D )

Most of the time I carry it 'Mexican' style -- just stuck in the waistband in that little hollow between abs and hip bone. With the Pachmayr compac grips it has never slipped. Other times I have just stuffed it into a front pocket. I have reinforced the pocket lith an additional layer of heavy fabric. Like I said before, I wear pleated front pants a size too large anyway. The pleats break up the outline of the gun so it doesn't print.

Now, with all that said, I do have a couple of IWB holsters for it. I am somewhat of a minimalist. One is home-modified, made from a open-muzzle belt slide holster of unknown pedigree. I just attached a couple of long belt loops onto it with leather rivets and wear it on the inside of the pants, but held in place by the loops. I also have a conventional (read factory produced) Galco IWB for a S&W J-frame. Go through the used holster boxes at your local gun shop or show and feel free to modify whats there!

I have thought about those spring clips that attach between the grip and the frame with a grip screw. If I can find one for a Taurus! Heck, maybe I'll have to make my own.

Holsters are kind of a personal choice. You'll have to decide what works best for you!

Back