Question for Colt 1911 experts.

Lightsped

I have a NIB never fired Colt 1991A1 Government model. I have noticed that the rear of the barrel has these scraping type scratches on it. It is kind of hard to explain the exact location of these scratches so please see the pic of the disassembled gun below. The scratches are the silver marks on both sides of the barrel link (is that the correct term?).
Thanks

scrapebarrel.jpg

only thing that would do that is the frame, on either side of the barrel link. Maybe NIB, but sure has been racked a lot if it is. sre there any marks on the barrel hood, (exposed part of barrel at ejection port)?

No, absolutely no other marks anywhere else on the barrel hood.

Here is a pic of the frame.

scrapebarrel2.jpg

Should I be concerned with these scratches on the barrel?

I don't see any problem as long as it functions, I thought maybe another possibility was during manufacture, maybe cleaning up some burrs in the area made a few inadvertant scratches.

Sometimes barrels are ground at 4:00 and 8:00 to prevent the unlocked barrel from being rubbed by the slide; this practice was common even in the pre-WWI days. If it was done at the factory for that reason, the work is a little crude. The frame bridge is the part that looks unusually worn for a new gun. Is the finish worn off, scratched off? If the gun cycles smoothly, and there's no sensation of the slide rubbing or binding on the barrel, it's probably OK.

The gun cycles, but it isn't very smooth. I am used to Sig and Beretta smoothness so maybe it is just me, but the action seems to be very rough, even compared to my older 1977 Series 70 1911....

Maybe it's from the front of the slide where you put the barrel in the slide, it has or did have some burrs on it. You can put Black Magic gun blue on it and put the barrel in and out of the slide and see if the scratches come back.

I have had to dress the barrel feet where they've rubbed the slide with a new barrel, this sounds like what you have. Check the fit and see if it's a bit tight. My Sistema 1927 with a new barrel had a couple of burrs in the slide that slightly bound on the barrel feet too, but it was easy to fix. It doesn't sound like a serious problem, most like a minor fitting issue.

Back