Question for C&R shipping of a handgun.

markallen

I'm considering selling a Radom P-35. Can this be shipped to a C&R license holder directly, or does it still need to go to an FFL. I am unlicensed by the way. This was a WWII bring back with Nazi proofmarks, so I believe it's C&R eligible, or am I wrong on this?
Thanks for your help.

A C&R licensee is a FFL. It is legal under federal law to ship a handgun directly to a C&R FFL, but it depends on the laws of the destination state. The C&R license doesn't override state laws in a handful of cases. It would be helpful to post the destination state.

A Radom P-35 wearing Nazi proofmarks is C&R-eligible under the catch-all clause on Page 17 of the C&R book:
All properly marked and identified semiautomatic pistols and revolvers used by, or mfd. for, any military organization prior to 1946.

Studied this subject before and this is how I remembered:

You can ship handguns by UPS or FedEx even if you are not a C&R. You can not ship handguns USPS even if you are a C&R. C&R is not a dealer and USPS only accept dealers (need to fill up a form at USPS) shipping handguns.

Hey, I'd also like to inquire on this subject--does anyone know if it's legal for a C&R holder to get a handgun shipped directly to them in New York State?

Adb,

Unfortunately you are not able to have a C&R handgun shipped directly to you in NY state. In fact, even the FFL needs to be licensed by NY as being a handgun dealer. As a further insult, your county might also require you to have a purchase coupon in advance before receiving your C&R handgun from your FFL.

We don't put up with it as a populace. There are places I won't live because of the local or state laws. And where I live, I'm active in keeping the laws the way they should be.

Adirondack, thanks. Well, crap--my county probably doesn't care, but I'm sure the FFL I've used before is not a pistol dealer, he only handles rifles. So much for any remaining chance of me bothering with a CZ52 any time in the near future.

MuscleGarunt, it isn't federal, New York State's problems are its own. Unfortunately, our firearms laws date back to 1911 when they were intended to keep guns out of the hands of unsavory ethnic groups like the Italians.

Couldn't a New Yorker with a 03FFL legally drive to Pennsylvania or New Hampshire or Virginia (etc) and buy a 50 y.o. handgun face-to-face (with very little paperwork, even from a dealer) and bring it back without ever having to tell Gov Paterson about it?

C&R

He could do that and it would not violate Federal Law or most likly not the Laws of Pa. BUT, once he bought the gun into NY State he would be in violation and he could be arrested for possession of a handgun without a license. NY State requires that you have a license to just possess a handgun, not to mention the hoops you will go through to carry. In order to purchase a handgun you must FIRST get a purchase permit. The fact you have a C&R FFL does not exempt you from the laws of NY State. And if you live in NYC, forget about it. Retired NY LEO :mad:

no FFL needed to ship within same State

Federal Firearms Regulations state that "A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or own State or to a licensee in any State."
Of course you must also abide by the laws of your state but in a State such as Florida, nothing would restrict a Fl. resident from shipping, via FEDEX, a handgun to another Fl. resident, as long as the person is over 21 years of age.

Back