question concerning Blaser R93 for Rob (or anyone else who can answer)

xyzman44

1. I understand with this rifle it is very easy to switch barrels out. Does the barrel have some unique features such that only a Blaser spare barrel would work? Or would it be feasible in your opinion to get any quality custom barrel chambered for this rifle?

2. Is the bolt/lockup system on this rifle more prone to some kind of dirt induced failure than a traditional boltgun? In other words is this a rifle for the bench only or is it one to bring out in the woods for weeks at a time?

Thanks

As to #1: The key to the quick switchout is the fact that the scope attaches to the barrel. Theoretically, with 3 barrels and 3 scopes, you could do a quick switchout and never rezero. In practice, I've only put 60 rounds thru my R93. The last 3 were done after disassembly of barrel from stock and reassembly. Result: 1/2 minute group within 1 minute of original zero.

As to #2: Great question. I'd be speculating. However, I intend to put mine thru some real paces in the AZ desert next month.
Rich

1. Rich is right about the scope mounting, but that is not the key to the system. The key is that the gun has no traditional Receiver. The barrel and Chamber are not "attached" to anything but the stock. It takes about 30 seconds (no, really.....) to switch between barrels of similar bolt face type. There are "standard" bolt faces and "MAgnum" bolt faces. Even changing the bol faces and magazine inserts only takes about two minutes.
This system also has an incredible amount of inherent accuracy potential, which the Blaser lives up to. With the Scope attached to the barrel (actaully the chamber section, not forward on the barrel like a scout) the weapon holds it zero while broken down. THis is not a "return to zero" system, it actually keeps the relationship between the scope and the barrel intact 100% of the time.

2. Not in my experience. In fact, my wife and I both used it in a very dusty then rainy and muddy environment last year in Texas and the gun performed Flawlessly.. and I gaurentee you that parts of the gun still have Texas Dust in them....
My gun was also used in the rain for three days in Alabama, with no noticible adverse effects.. not even suface rust.
If anything, I think that the no-reciever nature of the weapon would make it less suceptible to getting goofed up by dust and dirt. The "openess" of the action would encourage anything in the works to evacuate itself.

------------------
-Essayons

I know Cooper thinks highly of them, pretty much touting them to be the next best thing to a Steyr Scout. What, may I hesitantly ask, does one of these bad boys go for?

Also, anyone got a picture?

There is a Website somwhere, bt I don't have it handy, try a good search engine on "Blaser 93".
Suggested Retail on the "Classic" is just under $3,500.

The "Attache", which is nicer wood, lighter and has fluted barrels is just over $5,000.

The "Synthetic" model is the bargain, at $1500, but is esentially the same as the Classic, without some of the "fanciness".

Those prices are with one barrel, extra barrels are about $500. You have to buy an extra bolt face to switch between Magnum and Standard calibres, and use different mag inserts for different size rounds. Scope mounts are proprietary and you should have a set for each barrel, they are RTZ, but you shouldn't ever have to remove them.

------------------
-Essayons

http://www.sigarms.com/R93-syn.html

R93 Synthetic

The Blaser R 93 Synthetic is undoubtedly the most practical and versatile working tool ever created for hunters. The advanced
design of the R 93 rifle series provides an unmatched combination of strength, simplicity, accuracy and reliability. Its straight
pull-back, bolt-action is the ultimate achievement in repeating rifle ease and speed of operation. Exceptional convenience and
traveling portability is provided by its simply take-down. And remarkable versatility comes from the availability of easily
interchangeable barrels in different calibers. Now, a single rifle can be taken on a given trip to handle every type of hunting
opportunity, from varmints to heavy big game. Finally, its strong, virtually indestructible synthetic stock is completely impervious
to changes in temperature and humidity. In combination with an integral unique metal bedding block system that free-floats the
barrel, it creates bench-rest, repeat-shot accuracy with consistent point of impact. For the practical but discriminating hunter, this is
the ultimate "state-of-the-art" rifle.

oh momma!

R93 Long Range Sporter

Manufactured by advanced, state of the art production processes, the Blaser R93 LRS rifle is
a modern, bolt action rifle with an internal extractor and ejector.

Principle Features

Rapid simple take-down
Fast, one motion straight pull back action
Adjustable trigger
Adjustable stock
Free-floated barrel for consistient point of impact
Removable box 10 round magazine http://www.sigarms.com/R93-lrs.html

i oringinally linked to the picture on the page but the image was huge!

[This message has been edited by dZ (edited July 01, 1999).]

"R93" is just the current model of the Blaser Straight Pull Bolt Action rifle.

The previous model taht got imported to the US was the R84.

------------------
-Essayons

I recently examined Rich's R93 Long Range Sporter.
Mechanically, it is very impressive. All of the metal to metal fits are superb, and it is easy to believe his claims of post breakdown/refit return to zero accuracy despite the fact that I have not yet shot it.
It is well balanced, and not too heavy.
The bolt is incredibly fast, very smooth, and idiot simple to operate. I have never seen a manually operated rifle that is this easy to stay on target with while cycling the action,lever guns included. The trigger is superb, and adjustable to boot, so you can tune it to your preferences in weight, travel, etc. I would love to see a .22LR rimfire version.
The biggest deficit I found in overall quality was the polymer stock itself. All of the "Polymer" (pronounced "grotty plastic") parts were made of a thin, noisy resin. What I mean by noisy is that the texturing on the surface, combined with the thinness of the material and the acoustic qualities of it combined to make a very scratchy sounding unit with only minor abrasion or even hand motion type rubbing. It would be ideal material for a turkey call.
It is not ideal for something to sneak through brush with, as in a sniper mission role.

The molded seams of the stock were not well fitted, and there were "V" shaped gaps at some of the ends of the joints. These would seem to naturally lead to crack propagation over time. Not very desirable.
I suppose that these could be repaired or epoxy filled, but I would rather just redo the entire stock in a real composite material, even if it picked up some weight.
I do not believe that this would be too terribly difficult, given my abilities in the composite department. I intend to attempt it soon.

Rich,
Glad you volunteered it, it saves me the time and trouble of swiping it from you...
Awfully considerate.

I have some lovely pink stuff that will look great on it with a lime green trim.
I can't wait to get started. :)

Mad Dog

Hey, MD, when you get done with his Miami Vice stock, I'd like one in Black, please.

(I guess the low quality on the plastic stock from Blaser explains the bargain basement price of the synthetic R93 :()

Back