Question about unusual Walther PP with mag release in handle

bobbee

Inactive
I acquired a Walther PP, which is either pre-war or war manufacture, since it has "Waffenfabrik Walther, Zella Mehlis (Thur)" inscribed on it, indicating manufacture at the original Walther factory. What is unusual is that the magazine catch is located in the handle. My study of firearm references indicates that the PP and PPK magazine catches are supposed to be behind the trigger guard. The pistol is in 380 ACP. It does not have any German Military acceptance marks. the Serial No is 119256P. The bore is in as new condition, but the surface does have some wear and rusting. It has the smoothest trigger pull I have ever seen in a pistol, and functioned flawlessly when I test fired it. Can anyone give me any further information? Any information about this unusual Walther PP variant will be appreciated.

What ius the angle of the safety lever relative to the slide when it is engaged? Is is vertical or diagonal?
The serial # with the letter in the front indicates post war production, but not nessarily.
Rhat type of proof mark does it have, "crown over N", or post war eagle over N?
Does gun have any other marks on it?

I think you are describing the European heel magazine release. Walther didn't start placing the magazine release behind the trigger guard until we Americans started whining.

blades67, you are incorrect. Walther PP was made with Browning style mag release as early as 1933. As a matter of fact, heal releases were not made untill gun started to be adopted by military organisations used to that operating mode.

Actualy the PP and PPK was first designed with the heal clip and went to the US style long before the seig heilers took over. It seems that from time to time they used old frames and did orders with the old type release if ordered that way. Standard is the US type release and a heal clip is a non-standard variaty. It could show in a prewar or post war model both and adds some $$ to the value.:)

This pistol was owned by my grandfather, who was in Burma during WW2. I think he may have bought it before the war though, as he was an officer in the British Indian Army since 1928. Yes the magazine is a heel magazine. As far as it being post-war, I dont see how it can be post-war being made in Zella-Mehlis. After WW2, the Walther factory moved out of Zella-Mehlis. This pistol was never acquired in the U.S.

Back