Question about trainning schools..i.e. disability

Tonyb357

Inactive
I'm really interested in going to a self defense school(maybe LFI)But I have severe arthritis and can't do certin things,like kneel or go prone.....how much of that stuff goes on,and would it be a problem if I couldn't do these things?I've gone to IDPA matches and just taken points down(after I told the RO I was disabled)...but how different would it be at a defense school??

At the training schools I have been too, they have always made accomadations for people with disabilities. I would say go for it, tell the instructor your limitations, and they will work around it.

You have absolutely nothing to lose and an awful lot to gain. Nothing better then formal training, from a good, competent, instructor.

Thin The Herd

Tony, no worries. Mas is very understanding and has much experience dealing with physical disabilities. Like Phil sez, phone ahead and advise.

I recently did a course with Louis Awerbuck, and that was one of the first things he asked everyone. Some guys had knee trouble, eye problems, etc. Louis was very good about making sure everyone was OK before, during & after certain drills.

I was going to mention Louis Awerbuck/Yavapai Firearms Academy also.
I have a permanant back disability, and had been unable to even make the trip anywhere for training until a couple of surgeries a year ago. I had doubts of even being allowed to attend some schools.
I asked around, and found that Mr. Awerbuck not only would allow me to attend, but more or less encouraged it!
As it turned out, a broken foot this summer changed that plan, however.

I may be wrong, but I think Mr. Ayoob suffers from arthritis himself. That alone might make LFI a good choice for you.

I took Chuck Taylor's course and he worked around my problems (hand, arm and shoulder trouble). He offered alternate ways of handling each drill.

If a trainer won't work around your disability - find another trainer.

At the training schools I have been too, they have always made accomadations for people with disabilities. I would say go for it, tell the instructor your limitations, and they will work around it.

Ditto that. In fact the really good instructors will even show you a couple of techniques that will help you work around your physical limitations. Talk it over with the instructor in advance and go for it.

Have taken a good number of Chuck Taylor's Seminars in Upstate NY and at Defense Associates in Wallingford, CT.

Have moderate + arthritis along with DJD in lower spine. While it did limit or make some of the more demanding field positions very dificult to impossible neither Chuck or the Staff at Defense Associates/ASAA in CT required anyone {Disabled or not!}to attempt any drill or position that their own judgement or feeling ruled out.

The way Taylor and DA teach positions like Kneeling with rifle or pistol, with practice and proper use of his/their technique, am able to consistantly perform 50 meter handgun standards, kneeling, in Master time frames.

It sure did not happen overnight but it was worth the effort especially in view of not thinking it was possible for me to do at all initially.

Neither Taylor's ASAA or Defense Associates run "Boot Camp" style Seminar's or Courses. No Military or Macho "gotta do it", ego nonsense either. Their training is based in solid Fundamentals and skill developement, proper form and good technique.

Would not hesitate to attend either ASAA or LFI 1.

www.defenseassociates.com

I can tell you that Gunsite instructors seem to do a great job of dealing with each student's limitations. In a 350 class I took a while back, an older gentleman was unable to do any of the kneeling and prone work- but he was deadly with his r e v o l v e r ! If anything, it seemed to me the instructors helped him learn to maximize what he could do instead of downrate him for what he couldn't do.

Didn't see it happen first hand but I have read that a Gunsite student once got an e-ticket... from a wheelchair.

Disabilities

Review the shooting at quickshoot.com and turnipseedtechnique.com. No one is under 50. Kent has a fused spine. One of the other instructors has had 5 rotator cuff surgeries.

Kent is out in LA this weekend teaching. Contact him through one of his websites and ask for a referral to Johnny in NY. Johnny is the best I have seen with the shotgun.

All the other instructors will also make accomodations for disabilities.

If a trainer won't work around your disability - find another trainer.

Yep. Actually I think it's probably a good yardstick. If they have the mentality that says you can't or shouldn't learn to shoot unless you do it THEIR way, they probably aren't very good at training.

Kent has a fused spine.

A fused spine is not a disability. It is a medical treatment. It is like saying I had gallbladder surgery, I am disabled. I have a fused spine. From 1999 to 2002, I could bend over, and touch the palms of my hands to the floor. I could lift weights, I played tennis. I never missed a class, or a day at work because of my back during these times. How many NFL players are their that have multiple knee, and shoulder surgies, and still play.

I do not post this info to be contrarian. After retraining myself, college professors, wondered at my ability to get a job if the person hiring knew I had had such an operation. After the surgery, I did not consider myself to be "disabled". I told employers of my medical past. I am assumming that I did not look disabled, because I was asked to move computer equipment, and do fairly heavy lifting.

I just ask that you refer to somebody as having a back problem, or a past back problem. I am planning on working again, and having to explain gaps in my employment history, is going to be hard enough, if someone has a notion, that I am not able to work effectively as a person without prior surgeries.

If you have a medical problem, a trainer, who fully understands the limitations of that problem, is the best choice, for any training.

Attachments

• back1.jpg
    back1.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 36
I have beeen in martial arts for most of my adult life. I am now 51 and my rank is 4th dan (degree). I will be testing for my 5th dan this coming year under Grandmaster Duk Gun Kwon. I am also a SCI. (spinal cord injury) at the T-12 level with total paralysys from the waist down. I along with my wife own a very good Taekwondo school in Illinois. We have many good students to include competitors who have won national tournaments.

Besaides myself in a chair I have two other students who are chair users, a blind student, a girl who has (I can't even remember off hand) and has limited use of her body. I have a student who is deaf.

I have had many people with disabilities come through my doors. It's tough to keep them in it though because (those of us with SCI know) life in general is a big challenge and to attempt more than most average person would makes it all the more trying.

I do have two students both in chairs that are testing for 1'st and 3rd dan blackbelts amongst any other students who will be testing.

I am about to produce (actually "have" produced) Videos and DVD formats entitled "Adaptive Martial Arts". It consists of two volumes. The first will be beginner/intermediate and the 2nd advanced/expert.

These are not the same things I teach ALL my studio students. They had to learn much about Korean forms of self defense and all the honor, loyalty and respect that goes with formal martial arts training.

These lessons are no more than some drills tro stay in optimum condition, exercises for both warming up and building strength and the correct mindset.

They also encompass everything I have learned about street fighting. (I grew up in the slums and fought most everyday) From one to several techniwues for the most common attack. They explain the advantages of being seated as well as exploits the disadvantages of standing.

I have been working on this system for over five years now with friends of mine who are in other arts, especially hapkido and ju jitsu.

Though these lessons will not turn a seated or severely limited person into a superman, (no pun imtended, or disrespect) but the techniques once learned will enchance any one's ability to protect themselves. They are not *wink wink* lets "call" it self defense.

I've spent more than one night on the floor with one of my bigger stronger students having rammed me to the floor. Even for wheel chairs a fight almost always goes to the ground. Once down my options narrow down to some pretty nasty stuff and it takes a lot of heart to fight like that.

However, I will be selling the "Adaptive Martial Arts" course starting around June. (Producing takes some time) These are not TKD lessons. These lessons besides teaching one how to minimize their affliction and exploit the others lack of skill. It's really too difficult to really explain what all is involved in here, but I will post, (if allowed to) my website when I am ready to fill orders. If you'd like you can log on to the PVA Website, look under the PVA Wheelchair games, click "Adaptive Martial Arts" and you can see me sceaming (that's what it looks like) at one of my students as we were sparring.

I guess I should say that the PVA accepted my martial arts competition. But I have to get the interest up in both Michigan and Alaska to push it to the point of a medal sport.

So, anyone disabled AND a vet? At any rate I have done countless exhibitions and am helping to change the mindset of what disabled people can accomplish.

I am spinal injury person as well. I broke C5, 6 and 7, with 5&6 now fused, and permanently paralyzed at my left arm (initially total left side, but by grace not any longer). As a single arm shooter, its very challenging to use proper technique and be able to participate in all activities, not only in shooting but life in general. The only things you can do is adapt and overcome. Find new ways to do things as well as emphasize your strengths and work on weaknesses.

As mentioned above, any trainer that will not accomodate the less than perfect body isn't anyone who's very good at his job. It's amazing what kind of strides adaptive education/learning/training have made in all areas of sports and living. Best thing to do is take advantage of the training that is available.

ABSOLUTELY! I have always said that a goal is like a mountain top. There may be only one mountain top but there are a million ways to ascend to it...

Back